Author Topic: The federal indictment/fake news MEGATHREAD  (Read 58698 times)

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
Re: The federal indictment/fake news MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1230 on: December 14, 2018, 10:42:17 am »
Someone nearly got finger cramps this morning.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I never directed Michael Cohen to break the law. He was a lawyer and he is supposed to know the law. It is called “advice of counsel,” and a lawyer has great liability if a mistake is made. That is why they get paid. Despite that many campaign finance lawyers have strongly......

....stated that I did nothing wrong with respect to campaign finance laws, if they even apply, because this was not campaign finance. Cohen was guilty on many charges unrelated to me, but he plead to two campaign charges which were not criminal and of which he probably was not...

....guilty even on a civil basis. Those charges were just agreed to by him in order to embarrass the president and get a much reduced prison sentence, which he did-including the fact that his family was temporarily let off the hook. As a lawyer, Michael has great liability to me!

They gave General Flynn a great deal because they were embarrassed by the way he was treated - the FBI said he didn’t lie and they overrode the FBI. They want to scare everybody into making up stories that are not true by catching them in the smallest of misstatements. Sad!......

WITCH HUNT!

An advice of counsel defense is a very risky play in almost any circumstance.  In this particular circumstance it would be sheer lunacy. 

The defense is that you relied in good faith on counsel's advice that a course of conduct of legal.  You need to be able to show that: (a) you fully disclosed all the relevant facts to counsel, (b) that counsel advised you based on the facts that the conduct was lawful, and (c) you relied on the advice in good faith. 

The first big danger is that raising the defense waives the attorney-client privilege as to the communications on that matter. Here that may not have such a big impact because those communications may already be discoverable under the crime-fraud exception. But raising the defense rescues the government from having to do that briefing.

The second big danger is that the client must rely on the lawyer to back up their story. But here the lawyer has already admitted the conduct was criminal and implicated Trump.  So raising the defense brings that all out in the open. Cohen presumably is not going to say that he advised Trump it was legal. Also Cohen has no election law expertise so could anyone rely on his advise in good faith for that purpose?   
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1231 on: December 15, 2018, 06:35:59 am »
https://www.rt.com/news/446462-butina-torture-lavrov-months/

Months of torture-like conditions made Butina plead guilty to get home sooner – Lavrov

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has explained why he thinks gun activist Maria Butina, jailed in the US, has made a deal with prosecutors: she wants to escape the torture-like conditions she is being kept in.

Speaking to the media in the Azerbaijani capital Baku, Lavrov said US prosecutors were deliberately trying to break Butina.

“I can understand that woman, she is being kept in the harshest conditions, for many many months now she has been subjected to a kind of torture: they would make her go for walks at night, forcibly interrupting her sleep, place her in single confinement, and many other things,” Lavrov said.

Unnecessarily harsh treatment continued as recently as on Thursday, after Butina's plea deal. She was being kept in conditions “normally reserved for dangerous repeat offenders,” Lavrov said.

Butina likely struck the plea deal – confessing to the least of the charges against her in order to get the rest waived – so she can get back to her home country as soon as possible, Lavrov said. This way, she only faces a five-year prison term and extradition to Russia. Lavrov has pledged the foreign ministry's help in facilitating her return.

Butina, a pro-gun rights activist who has been advocating making Russian firearm laws more similar to American ones, got caught in the middle of the hunt for “Russian agents” in the wake of Donald Trump's 2016 presidential win. Living in the US on a student visa, she was arrested in mid-July and accused of secretly working for the Russian government to make inroads with the Republican Party and the National Rifle Association. Moscow has rebuffed any notion of a connection to her.

Russian diplomats secret service handlers have been keeping in touch with Butina in jail, and have said her conditions are “slightly below torture.” She has been subjected to unwarranted and humiliating strip searches, sleep-deprived and denied proper medical care.

:lol:
“Hello, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. By true, I mean...false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the truth?

The answer is no.”

jimmy olsen

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1232 on: January 25, 2019, 06:35:05 am »
FBI bust into Stone's house at 6am with guns drawn. Charged with seven counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding, making false statements and witness tampering, according to the special counsel’s office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/us/politics/roger-stone-indicted-mueller-investigation.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #1233 on: January 25, 2019, 09:31:32 am »
He threatened to steal a guy's dog.  That's low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1234 on: January 25, 2019, 10:32:47 am »
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Greatest Witch Hunt in the History of our Country! NO COLLUSION! Border Coyotes, Drug Dealers and Human Traffickers are treated better. Who alerted CNN to be there?
“Hello, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. By true, I mean...false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the truth?

The answer is no.”

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #1235 on: January 25, 2019, 10:37:30 am »
At least he likes the witch hunt.
You are gay.

PDH

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Consul for the year 2767
« Reply #1236 on: January 25, 2019, 11:13:19 am »
Saw this on the interwebs: "If Trump really wanted to have Hilary Clinton locked up he should have made her part of his campaign staff."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Blah
« Reply #1237 on: January 25, 2019, 01:24:26 pm »
FBI bust into Stone's house at 6am with guns drawn. Charged with seven counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding, making false statements and witness tampering, according to the special counsel’s office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/us/politics/roger-stone-indicted-mueller-investigation.html

At least it's good to know the FBI still likes overdramatic and over-the-top show arrests.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #1238 on: January 25, 2019, 01:26:00 pm »
At least it's good to know the FBI still likes overdramatic and over-the-top show arrests.

You might not want to take Timmy's National Enquirer style reporting at face value.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #1239 on: January 25, 2019, 04:39:54 pm »
Talk radio dude had the same take on the story. FWIW.
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #1240 on: January 25, 2019, 04:50:35 pm »

Guns drawn?  The NYT link doesn't mention it and Stone didn't mention it during his post arraignment spin session.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

jimmy olsen

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1241 on: January 25, 2019, 05:45:39 pm »

Guns drawn?  The NYT link doesn't mention it and Stone didn't mention it during his post arraignment spin session.

They showed it on CNN. They had assault rifles and body armor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

• Sugar Glider
  • Hiding in Honduras
« Reply #1242 on: January 25, 2019, 06:02:55 pm »
They showed it on CNN....

Well that settles it Tim.

Anybody else concerned that a Russian Manchurian candidate has been governing the US while Mueller does this half-assed probe?

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #1243 on: January 25, 2019, 06:05:11 pm »
How is a probe half-assed?
You are gay.

Legbiter

• Sugar Glider
  • Hiding in Honduras
« Reply #1244 on: January 25, 2019, 06:42:35 pm »
How is a probe half-assed?

Mueller has been busting peeps for process crimes (Flynn) or the kind of semi-open influence-peddling corruption that seems par for the course (Manafort in Ukraine) in both media and K-street. My horrible and quite cynical view is that if you add enough lawyers, they'll find something, eventually.

Mueller, on the other hand, seems awfully relaxed about a supposed Russian puppet running the US for almost an entire term.

Add in the absolutely embarrassing to watch pants-shitting by the US media once it became clear that the Hag would lose and you have our modern life. All-caps emails WE Will STOP TRUMP, DONATE NOW! and wapo, nyt, cnn, msnbc acting like they've been subsisting on depression, despair and their own human excrement.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.