News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libertarians, Trump and the Alt-Right.

Started by Razgovory, September 20, 2017, 10:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

@Grumbler.

I wanted to move the conversation away from YI. It worked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2017, 06:32:06 AM
Yi, when you make a point, just make a fucking point, don't start an endless stream of one-sentence posts with no one knowing where you're going.  If you were a cat, you'd take a week to finish off the mouse you caught.

I want Raz to get there by himself.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2017, 11:32:23 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2017, 06:32:06 AM
Yi, when you make a point, just make a fucking point, don't start an endless stream of one-sentence posts with no one knowing where you're going.  If you were a cat, you'd take a week to finish off the mouse you caught.

I want Raz to get there by himself.

The pedagogical approach is the core of the Yicratic method, much like its namesake.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 21, 2017, 02:08:40 PM
The pedagogical approach is the core of the Yicratic method, much like its namesake.

Disagree.  In most cased teh Yicratic method is a request for clarification.  "You seem to be saying this, and if you are I disagree."

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on September 21, 2017, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2017, 09:19:04 AM
You can any argument about anything or anyone.  The trick is making an argument that fits, and the fact that people can make the same argument that doesn't fit says nothing about the fitness of your own argument.

The trick is making an argument that fits and doesn't just consist of name-calling.  You failed, as I demonstrated with my little thought-experiment.  Merely asserting that libertarians are exclusively either fascists of mirror-image-communists is just meaningless name-calling.  As I pointed out, it might signal your virtue to Raz and Grey Fox, but no one (even them) thinks it is an intellectual argument.
All you demonstrated was your ability to use the strikethrough functionality of the forum software.  Whatever that experiment was, it didn't contain a lot of useful thought. 

I know you're big into tribe bullshit, but tribes are not in fact interchangeable.  I feel comfortable name-calling North Koreans as brainwashed, even though they feel just as strongly that we're the brainwashed ones.  I will not post two tomes on Languish supporting my belief that North Koreans are brainwashed. 

Just because two sides believe with equal earnestness that the other one is stupid doesn't mean that both of them are equally wrong.  More often one side is correct, and the other side thinks the same thing because the former side is so very right in its assessment.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2017, 02:22:09 PM

Disagree.  In most cased teh Yicratic method is a request for clarification.  "You seem to be saying this, and if you are I disagree."
Rightly or wrongly, it often comes across as being deliberately obtuse and disruptive to the discussion.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2017, 09:23:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2017, 02:22:09 PM

Rightly or wrongly, it often comes across as being deliberately obtuse and disruptive to the discussion.

I hate to say it Yi, but DGuller is right;  it often does come across that way.  Maybe part of the problem is that you often aren't specific enough about what you want clarified.

Admiral Yi

My judgement was that leaving a puzzle on the table was fun, but if the crowd says it doesn't work then I will listen.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2017, 01:35:57 AM
My judgement was that leaving a puzzle on the table was fun, but if the crowd says it doesn't work then I will listen.

So which is it, a puzzle or a request for clarification?

CountDeMoney

All this time, you mutts still haven't figured out that the basic premise of the Yicratic Method is that Yi already knows the answers when he asks his questions. 
That's what makes him such a magnificent asshole, and you people morons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
All this time, you mutts still haven't figured out that the basic premise of the Yicratic Method is that Yi already knows the answers when he asks his questions. 
That's what makes him such a magnificent asshole, and you people morons.

I kinda suggested that, but he disagreed.

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson