The Korean Crisis - How Will It Play Out?

Started by mongers, September 03, 2017, 03:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on September 03, 2017, 06:20:40 PM
My guess for the next couple of years is that there will be continuing pompous dialogue between the Dear Retards, but no real shooting war and nothing settled. But there are huge uncertainties, and war wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, that's where I'm at too.

PDH

The good news in that scenario is that Trump will be spared any feelings of remorse.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

No shooting war, no nuclear exchange.  Random provocations every two years or so, like shooting up an island or a patrol boat.  Wait for NK to crumble, perhaps pushed along by feelers sent to generals.

If NK goes full retard we turn it into glass.

HisMajestyBOB

Sounds like South Korea's president is on Trump's shit list so he likely views them as acceptable casualties.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-latest-test-north-korea-detonates-its-most-powerful-nuclear-device-yet/2017/09/03/4c5202ea-90b4-11e7-8754-d478688d23b4_story.html

Trump did not talk to Moon on the phone Sunday — in stark contrast to the two calls he had with Shinzo Abe, the prime minister of Japan and a leader who has proven much more willing to agree with his American counterpart.
Trump's twitter jab came amid news that the U.S. president has instructed advisers to prepare to withdraw from a free-trade agreement with South Korea — a move that is resolutely opposed by South Korea and one that would undermine the two countries' economic alliance.

Trump's twitter jab came amid news that the U.S. president has instructed advisers to prepare to withdraw from a free-trade agreement with South Korea — a move that is resolutely opposed by South Korea and one that would undermine the two countries' economic alliance.
Analysts said Trump's actions were puzzling.

"It's strange to see Trump going after South Korea more aggressively than he's going after China, especially since China also thinks that dialogue is central to solving this problem," said John Delury, a professor of international relations at Yonsei University in Seoul.

In an earlier tweet, Trump had said that China "was trying to help," although he added it was "with little success."

Delury said that the "passive aggressive" tone of Trump's tweets suggested that Moon had been standing up to the American president during their previous phone calls. They spoke Friday after North Korea sent a missile over Japan.

"It sounds like Moon is saying, 'We're going to have to talk to these guys' — which is true — and Trump is frustrated," Delury said, noting that the latest tweet seemed to address Moon directly, with its "like I told you."

Trump's tweet was even more puzzling, analysts say, because Trump himself — both as a candidate and as president — had repeatedly suggested he would be willing to talk to North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2017, 08:17:24 PM
No shooting war, no nuclear exchange.  Random provocations every two years or so, like shooting up an island or a patrol boat.  Wait for NK to crumble, perhaps pushed along by feelers sent to generals.

If NK goes full retard we turn it into glass.

Awwww, look.  Yi thinks Trump is people.

Tamas

South Korea needs to offer some major business deal to Trump's son in law, pronto.

mongers

The drumbeat to war seems to be echoing around the UN security council.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2017, 11:06:46 AM
The drumbeat to war seems to be echoing around the UN security council.

they're shaking their box of strongly worded letters again?

-----

We'll see what happens. None of if will be good, some of it might be least bad.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Kim is going to get anxious soon, what with Trump not paying him any attention on twitter; maybe the N.Koreans will come out claiming the hurricanes hitting the US was their work?

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 03, 2017, 05:30:18 PM
How quickly would putting nuclear warheads on cruise missiles.

Oh, those poor, poor Korean students.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on September 13, 2017, 04:35:36 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 03, 2017, 05:30:18 PM
How quickly would putting nuclear warheads on cruise missiles.

Oh, those poor, poor Korean students.

What Kim's nukes will do to their bodies, Tim's teaching has already done to their minds.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2017, 02:37:57 PM
Kim is going to get anxious soon, what with Trump not paying him any attention on twitter; maybe the N.Koreans will come out claiming the hurricanes hitting the US was their work?

Well it didn't take him long to get itchy fingers:

North Korea missile test splits world powers
15 September 2017

The latest missile test by North Korea, its furthest-reaching yet, has split world powers who united behind new UN sanctions just days ago.

US President Donald Trump said he was more confident than ever of America's military options, should one be needed.

China earlier accused the US of shirking its responsibilities, while Russia called US rhetoric "aggressive".

The UN Security Council has unanimously condemned the missile test, but no new sanctions have been announced.

The missile was fired over Japan and reached an altitude of about 770km (478 miles), travelling 3,700km past the northernmost island of Hokkaido before landing in the sea, South Korea's military says.

The missile had the capacity to reach the US territory of Guam and experts say it is the furthest any North Korean ballistic missile has ever travelled above ground.

South Korea, a key ally of the US, responded within minutes by firing two ballistic missiles into the sea in a simulated strike on the North.

The Security Council convened an emergency meeting, in which members unanimously condemned the missile launch as "highly provocative" - coming as it did after Pyongyang's nuclear bomb test on 3 September.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41281050

The Brain

Quoteexperts say it is the furthest any North Korean ballistic missile has ever travelled above ground

:o OK now I'm scared.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.