News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I don't know if anyone much is looking at these - but in case anyone is, here's a gilded version of the previous sketch.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

I have been. :)

I think the last one is my favorite so far. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

It is good stuff man. You are very talented and really make some amazingly creepy images. I hope you take that as a the compliment I am trying to present it as :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I also follow this thread with great interest. Would love to have a deck of these cards; I'd just use them on some unsuspecting players one evening and see what they thought  :cool:

Eddie Teach

You might put your talent to better use than kid show fan art.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 18, 2017, 11:35:35 AM
I have been. :)

I think the last one is my favorite so far. :wub:

She's one of my favorite characters. Though so far, we don't know if she's the next villain or not ...  ;)

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2017, 11:37:11 AM
It is good stuff man. You are very talented and really make some amazingly creepy images. I hope you take that as a the compliment I am trying to present it as :lol:

I thoroughly enjoy this particular type of cartoon-cute-creepy.  :D One of my favorite artists is Edward Gorey ...

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 18, 2017, 07:11:45 PM
You might put your talent to better use than kid show fan art.  :P

Meh. It's a hobby. I do it because I find it fun.

I do lots of things that are objectively pointless for fun ... posting on Languish for example.  :D

HVC

the black and gold theme would probably look really cool for tarot cards too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2017, 10:13:52 AM

I love the Tarot imagery, but know basically nothing about the cards. Might be fun to try one or two though!

I chose creating a regular French deck because I have always loved card art (though never dreamed of actually tackling one until now). The fact that the characters in this show are linked to the card suits was additional inspiration (female members of the royal family have suits imprinted on their cheeks - the lead character has hearts, her mother diamonds, etc.). 

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2017, 02:52:18 PM

I love the Tarot imagery, but know basically nothing about the cards. Might be fun to try one or two though!

I chose creating a regular French deck because I have always loved card art (though never dreamed of actually tackling one until now). The fact that the characters in this show are linked to the card suits was additional inspiration (female members of the royal family have suits imprinted on their cheeks - the lead character has hearts, her mother diamonds, etc.).

If I remember well, you are a fan of Calvino. You should check out, if you haven't, his Castle of Crossed Destiny, which revolves around Tarot cards (Calvino used the Tarot made for the Visconti and Sforza dukes of Milan).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 19, 2017, 04:26:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2017, 02:52:18 PM

If I remember well, you are a fan of Calvino. You should check out, if you haven't, his Castle of Crossed Destiny, which revolves around Tarot cards (Calvino used the Tarot made for the Visconti and Sforza dukes of Milan).

I read it many years ago, but thanks for the reminder! I really ought to re-read it.

Malthus

Just for some variety, here's an old sketch I did at a Mayan site in Mexico.

It's a cornice of a building, believed to be of the Maya rain god Chaac (Puuc Mayans covered their buildings with this mask).

Unfortunately I never had a long time to draw anything because I was usually with people who wanted to move on ... so all my sketches of such sites are very quick.