News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Odd thing: on Instagram, the last card somehow got really popular.

Cards usually get a few hundred upvotes (the previous card got less than 400). This one got nearly 3,700 and they are still coming in, making it the most popular to date of the stuff I posted there.

Edit: now over 4000! This is weird.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

On the internet, everyone will be famous for 15 seconds.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 22, 2019, 01:36:58 PM

I wouldn't mind that, if I only knew why some pictures get more than ten times the attention of others. It just seems totally random.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2019, 01:45:59 PM

I wouldn't mind that, if I only knew why some pictures get more than ten times the attention of others. It just seems totally random.

It might be going viral  :cool:

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 24, 2019, 03:02:02 AM

Semi-viral. It seems to have more or less tapered off at around 4,300.

Still, that was very surprising!

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2019, 09:39:51 AM
Odd thing: on Instagram, the last card somehow got really popular.

Cards usually get a few hundred upvotes (the previous card got less than 400). This one got nearly 3,700 and they are still coming in, making it the most popular to date of the stuff I posted there.

Edit: now over 4000! This is weird.  :lol:

Cool!  :cool:

Malthus

I also got a couple of dozen people messaging me, basically asking me when I'm printing these ...  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2019, 03:51:27 PM
I also got a couple of dozen people messaging me, basically asking me when I'm printing these ...  :hmm:

You should figure out what you can and cannot do regarding these things with regards to Disney's copyright if you are going to become popular.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2019, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2019, 03:51:27 PM

You should figure out what you can and cannot do regarding these things with regards to Disney's copyright if you are going to become popular.

The question is what I can get away with.  :lol:

Lots of people do sell merch for the TV show. I know other fan artists who are selling books, t-shirts and the like.

My guess is that a certain amount of copyright violating sales basically fly under the radar, because the franchise is a minor one, and there is a lack of actual licensed stuff for it. The volume of sales is so minor that Disney doesn't much care. 

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2019, 03:11:02 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 24, 2019, 03:02:02 AM

Semi-viral. It seems to have more or less tapered off at around 4,300.

Still, that was very surprising!

Pfft, I once got over 10k upvotes on reddit for a prequel meme. :P

Seriously, congrats. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

First of two Jokers:

This will make no damn sense if you haven't seen the show, though.  :D

Malthus

Back to the spades - here's the seven:

Edit: the idea here is to make Star stand out, give her a bit of a 3-D effect. And to try to convey her reaction to the Monster Army using cartoon body language alone, as her back it to the viewer. 

Malthus

I'm doing a lot of gesture drawing these days - they look like scribbles, but they really help me loosen up. My drawings have always been a bit on the stiff side.

What I'm finding, is that it is often better to concentrate on a few key lines to convey emotion and movement. Once you have those key lines right, the rest just follows naturally. Get them wrong, and nothing you do later works to give the drawing life. 

derspiess

Each one of these is amazing, Mal. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2019, 10:42:32 AM
Each one of these is amazing, Mal.

Thanks!

Drawing these is a fun, albeit incredibly time-consuming, hobby. I guess it has more or less replaced playing computer games and watching TV for me.  :D