News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Another refurbished card: Queen of Spades (Eclipsa, Queen of Darkness)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Last refurbished card for a while: Jack of Spades (Buff Frog!)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Ten of Spades - a new card: Monster Love!

Malthus

Last one for a couple of weeks at least, as I am going away on vacation.

Not a new card, but just a series of process pictures for the last card - I love looking at other fan artists' process pictures, so maybe this may be of some interest.

Back of napkin-type sketch:

Pencil Drawing:

Blacks in pen:

Final:

Oexmelin

If you are looking for ways to spend your vast lawyerly wealth, my artist friends swear by (and/or long for) this: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 17, 2018, 12:57:02 PM
If you are looking for ways to spend your vast lawyerly wealth, my artist friends swear by (and/or long for) this: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays

Heh, someday I suppose I'll have to move on to computer art. Everyone else has.

I don't know the first thing about doing it though ...  ;) What I would want, is to have some time to take a couple of classes.

Malthus

First new card for a while (based on the episode 'Ludo in the Wild', which was particularly dark, even for this show):

KRonn

So many card, so much you have to choose from. Where do you get all the ideas?

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on January 15, 2019, 07:42:08 PM
So many card, so much you have to choose from. Where do you get all the ideas?

Well, way I decide on the cards is as follows.

In the show, the four main royal characters have cheek marks that represent the four suits of the french card deck. In my mind, each of the four is associated with one group of characters from the cast, as follows:

Star = hearts on cheeks = Humans. Reason: she goes to live among Humans.

Moon = diamonds = Mewmen. Reason: she is the current Queen of the Mewmen.

Eclipsa = spades = Monsters. Reason: She fell in love with a Monster, had a child by him, and went off to live among them (see the Ten of Spades card). 

Meteora = clubs = St. Olga's, and everyone else who doesn't fit in the other three categories. Reason: she was headmistress of St. Olga's. 

These royals are the "queens" of each suit (Mewni is a matriarchical monarchy).  The four symbols are traditionally divided into two, red and black (though mine of course are not). This fits, as Star is Moon's daughter (both red) while Meteora is Eclipsa's daughter (both black).

For the Aces, there are the four members of the Magic High Commission.

For the rest - I fill in the other Royal cards with the characters closest to the queens. Then, for the number cards - I try to think of characters from the appropriate group, in situations where it is possible to include the relevant number of card symbols in an entertaining manner. I try to make the higher numbers = the more important characters, but I'm not strict with this. Obviously, some characters (such as Star) show up in multiple cards. For the twos in each suit, I'm trying to choose sweet and innocuous characters. 

For example: the card above is the nine of spades. As spades, the motif is "Monsters". The card shows Ludo about to fight with Spider (both "Monsters"). This is based on an actual scene from the show. I chose it because I like the scene, but also because Spider's web gives me an opportunity to show nine spades, on nine anthropomorphic flies caught in Spider's web (in the actual scene there was only one - Spider ate him, while Ludo slurped the juice that dribbled from Spider's fangs). Ludo is a very significant character, so he'll show up a few times.

KRonn

Nice, I see a good amount of thought and knowing the content go into the pics. :)

Malthus

KRonn

The Eight of Sea Monster!  Cool pic though.

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on January 21, 2019, 09:48:50 AM

Thanks!

In the show, that's not water, but some sort of corrupt goop ...

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2019, 09:55:53 AM

Thanks!

:) 

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on January 21, 2019, 02:45:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2019, 09:55:53 AM

Thanks!

:)

The monster you see is basically made out of the goop (or rather, vice versa!  :D).