News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 10, 2018, 10:51:21 AM
You may be interested in the work of Boulet, a French comic book artist:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXU-brGYxYU

Great stuff! I love that he's got a blog. I could spend a lot of time looking through that ...  :lol:

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2018/04/19/im-not-a-number/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

The blog is really great, from humor to musings on the role of imagination, tropes of fiction to scientific discoveries.

The year I was living in L.A., I visited the Museum of Jurassic Technology. At the museum store, there was this guy - another visitor - who felt oddly familiar. He was tall, a redhead, spoke with a thick French accent, but I couldn't quite place him among by French acquaintances. It's only when I got out of the museum that I had a doubt: could it really be Boulet? I checked on his twitter, and sure enough, there was a tweet on the Museum of Jurassic Technology.

It was the first (and last) time I identified an author based on the mix of his own self-representation, and the tone of his writing. :lol:

Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

No. He doesn't post pictures of himself on the blog, nor is there one on his books.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

3 of Hearts, I love it. Very animated especially with the one in the back with the tail spear pointing at the front guy, both with the angry expressions.  This is good stuff.  :)

Oexmelin

In case you'd wish to vary the iconography, you can also use the German suits of acorns, bells, leaves and heart.

Syt

Or the Tarot ones of cups, staves, swords, and coins.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

I wouldn't mind trying different sorts of decks; I've thought of doing Tarot, and the German suits would be interesting.

The current deck has to go with the usual French deck, with its spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds, because the main female characters in the show itself have these symbols on their cheeks: Star Butterfly has hearts, Moon Butterfly has Diamonds, Ms Heinous/Meteora has clubs, and Eclipsa has spades. That fact lead to the notion of doing a card deck in the first place.

However, if I keep up with the hobby once this deck is done, I may go with another set. 

Malthus

Two of Hearts - Laser Puppies. Finally finished off a suit!

Syt

Interesting placement of the hearts :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Malthus

Finally, to start on the Diamonds!

Here's the Ace of Diamonds ...

Malthus

This is interesting - someone is making a definitely adult cartoon, which is remarkably similar to Star vs. the Forces of Evil - the teaser for it is neat (if incredibly hyper). Hazbin Hotel, which is set in a dayglow version of Hell (the plot is - princess of Hell creates a hotel to allow rehabilitation of demons ... she's a dead ringer for a slightly older Star Butterfly, in both looks and personality)

"Inside of every demon is a rainbow": definitely watch with subtitles on ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrM-eDxTas

Oexmelin