Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Malthus

One more - the Queen of Clubs.

This one really won't make any sense if you haven't seen the show.  :lol:

Suffice it to say, the elderly lady is the owner of a Victorian-style 'boarding school of horrors' designed to terrorize female aristocratic children. In this place, they are brainwashed into obedience, in ways obviously parodying A Clockwork Orange. The disembodied head is a sociopathic character (a friend of the main character) who is sent there (for good reason); she's brainwashed.

The old lady has a magic mirror in which she can see the past misdeeds of her pupils. Like the other queens, she has cheek markings (in her case, clubs). 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

This cartoon sounds pretty twisted.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
Damn, those are really freaking cool. I would pay for a set of cards like that.

They are quite good.  It's a shame he couldn't sell these ones...as Disney's legal teams would be merciless.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 01:12:32 PM
This cartoon sounds pretty twisted.

Indeed. It is, very.

That's part of its charm. On the surface, it appears to be totally light and fluffy. When the plot kicks in ... not so much.

It sometimes appears like someone crossed the art styles of Dr. Suess with the plot from Game of Thrones:lol: With a bit of Alien thrown in for good measure.

The episode where they disclose the mating habits of the main character is a doozy (think 'parasitic wasps'). It is sometimes hard to believe that it's a Disney show for kids.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

My goddaughter introduced me to the show, which we watched together this summer. It's great.

great cartoon, idea, and execution, Malthus.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tonitrus

Great...our next generation of children will be cleverly hidden psychopaths.  :(  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 06, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
My goddaughter introduced me to the show, which we watched together this summer. It's great.

great cartoon, idea, and execution, Malthus.

Thanks!

My son got me into the show, we watched it together.

I can see it has a lot of themes that would appeal in your line of work - for one, 'history is written by the winners' is a major theme of the show; the plight of the 'monsters' seems to reflect  our own issues of colonialism and racism.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve the whole monster/Mewman thing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 01:35:12 PM
Great...our next generation of children will be cleverly hidden psychopaths.  :(  :P

Well, at least they'll hide it, unlike Cartman and Stewie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 02:28:07 PM
I can see it has a lot of themes that would appeal in your line of work - for one, 'history is written by the winners' is a major theme of the show; the plight of the 'monsters' seems to reflect  our own issues of colonialism and racism.

You forgot the whole "school is brainwashing into social conformism" thing...

As an aside (though I do not want to hijack your thread), it also struck me that it was a rare kid's show (?) which had a clear narrative arc deployed over many episodes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 06, 2017, 02:49:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 02:28:07 PM

You forgot the whole "school is brainwashing into social conformism" thing...

As an aside (though I do not want to hijack your thread), it also struck me that it was a rare kid's show (?) which had a clear narrative arc deployed over many episodes.

Naw, hijack away, I don't mind.  :D

Actually, there is a definite mini-trend towards high-quality children's animation with lengthy narrative arcs. When I was my kid's age, children's animation was mostly pretty wretched - nothing but badly made half hour commercials for toys. They can be a lot more creative these days.

If you liked Star for that reason, I'd recommend another Disney show (now completed), Gravity Falls - if you haven't seen it already. It's great.

Malthus

Just for fun, here's a bit of a progression - I took pictures as I was drawing this (it's a poster I entered into a fan art competition - it came in third). The poster is for the TV movie "The Battle for Mewni" (really, four episodes stuck together with a common plot arc). The poster shows Queen Moon, the mother of the protagonist, as a young woman, casting 'her darkest spell' designed to kill an apparently immortal enemy threatening the monarchy (she doesn't in fact kill him, just mutilates him - because to kill him would involve paying the price for learning the spell).

The spell has a lot of undesirable effects, to put it mildly - not all of which are yet resolved in the show. She learns some of them at the moment she casts it, to her horror.

She really ought to have anticipated bad things happening to her, given the wording of the spell:

"I call the darkness unto me
From deepest depths of earth and sea
From ancient evils, unawoken
Break the one that can't be broken
To blackest night I pledge my soul
And crush my heart to burning coal
To summon forth a deathly power
So see my hated foe - devoured."

Most of the stuff in the poster is taken from elements in the show - the black goo that covers her wand, her hand and veins turn black, and the black butterflies (butterflies are the symbol of the dynasty - for good reason).

Malthus

One last card (then I have to draw some more!) - the Joker.

This will make a lot of sense to those who have watched the show ...

The Brain

Super cool.

It was nice to see the progression btw.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.