Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2018, 07:45:11 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2018, 01:20:31 AM
Is that a chained soul?

I'm not sure what a "chained soul" is ...

In this scene, Star is confronted with the soul-less corpse of her best friend/boyfriend #1, held by her boyfriend #2, while her town burns around her (in this show, having your soul eaten causes your corpse to float like a balloon).
Is there some gender bending going on here? Corpse definitely does not look male.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2018, 02:35:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2018, 07:45:11 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2018, 01:20:31 AM
Is that a chained soul?

I'm not sure what a "chained soul" is ...

In this scene, Star is confronted with the soul-less corpse of her best friend/boyfriend #1, held by her boyfriend #2, while her town burns around her (in this show, having your soul eaten causes your corpse to float like a balloon).

Is there some gender bending going on here? Corpse definitely does not look male.

Yup. Sort of.

The Corpse is of a boy dressed in drag, wearing a long wig.

The plot reason is that the soul-eater hates this particular persona in that outfit, and he was using himself as bait.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The Final Butterfly Battle (from the episode "Conquer")

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Queen Moon in the Realm of Magic (from the episode "Divide")

Malthus

Eclipsa Unleashed:

Progress pictures (in case anyone is interested):

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2018, 07:51:35 AM

I like these distorted reflection ones best.  This one my be my favorite of the lot (though there have been a lot of them that have been "my favorite" the first time I saw them).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on May 10, 2018, 07:39:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2018, 07:51:35 AM

I like these distorted reflection ones best.  This one my be my favorite of the lot (though there have been a lot of them that have been "my favorite" the first time I saw them).

That was the picture I took the biggest chance with so far - I had literally no idea whether it was even possible to make the pool look like water (with a slick of dark magic washing off the central figure) using only three colors, plus having a reflection. I did some preliminary sketches, which seemed to work okay, them went for it. 

Concentric highlights actually seem to work to give the illusion of three dimensions. I was pretty happy that it turned out - halfway through I was sure it would be a mess.

Malthus

By the way, the picture of Moon in the Realm of Magic won a fan art competition on Reddit ... I won a prize worth a grand total of ... $30.   :lol: Oh well, still it was neat to win.

I've accepted a challenge from some people on the site to illustrate the climactic scene from the finale. I'm working with a size of paper I've never used before - 24" by 18", larger than any I've previously used. This will take some time.

Any interest in seeing the work in progress?

grumbler

I'm always interested in seeing works in progress.  I have no artistic skill, so enjoy watching the work of those that do.  It's like magic to me, suddenly seeing the work for what it is going to be.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Okay, here's the first part - planning out the picture.

I usually do a very rough sketch to begin with, simply to see in my head all the parts of the scene and their approximate relation to each other, the overall darks and lights, and what overlaps what.

This scene is supposed to be the climax of the finale. The girl in the foreground in the heroine, Star. She's just lost a fight against a gigantic monster, who slapped her out of the air and was about to kill her, when the monster's mother, Eclipsa, appeared and tried to reason with her. The attempt fails and Eclipsa decides to kill her daughter, the monster, with magic. The scene shows Eclipsa (floating in the air) casting the killing spell on her daughter, while Star picks herself up off the ground. She's about to turn around.

So there are several elements to juggle - Star, Eclipsa casting the spell, the monster affected by the spell, the setting (a partly ruined castle, open to the sky).

The first decision is how to convey the impression of a gigantic monster, while still having some detail on the human-sized characters. To do that, I'll try to force the perspective - have Star in the immediate foreground, actually placing her outside of the internal frame of the picture; then, using Eclipsa to give human scale to the monster, and accentuate that with some details of the castle in the middle ground.

The next problem is, given that I'm only using three colours, how can I differentiate the shadows of the castle from the sky in a way that looks good? I'll try to use stars to give the sky a different appearance.

The 'back of a napkin' sketch works out the basic details, and a gesture drawing of the characters.

This drawing is actually pretty small. I then transfer those elements into a rough sketch of the drawing on the 24" by 18" paper. I adjust the relative size and placement of the figures - Star doesn't need to be so large.

Next time -what I'm working on now: finalizing the drawing and inking it in at the same time.

This is a relatively ambitious scene for me, I have no idea whether it will work visually or not!

BuddhaRhubarb

like these in process images. groovy series.
:p

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 23, 2018, 12:02:51 PM
like these in process images. groovy series.

Thanks!

The next one should be up tomorrow.

Malthus

Here's the inked image, with the picture now detailed. Only the paint left to do:

Malthus

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point