News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Malthus, good stuff! Those drawings are good! Nice hobby you have there - I bet it's very relaxing too.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 11, 2018, 11:06:15 AM

I do find it odd though that adults who willingly watch endless superhero and Star Wars movies would still look down on animation as 'kid's stuff'.  :lol:

Stuff I liked when I was a kid: high art. Stuff that kids like today: garbage. Pretty simple really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I dunno, I'm too old for Harry Potter, but it's still clearly superior to most contemporary kid's fare.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on February 14, 2018, 03:22:30 PM
Malthus, good stuff! Those drawings are good! Nice hobby you have there - I bet it's very relaxing too.  :)

Thanks! It is indeed very relaxing, in an odd sort of way - drawing always takes me out of myself. I get so totally absorbed in it that hours can fly by and I hardly notice - it's really addictive.

I drew the last picture posted above in one session on Sunday. I had that rarity - a whole day off, and alone - and I spent basically all day on it; I emerged from the 'zone' and it was fairly late at night, my hand was cramped, and I was starving - I was at it all day without a break. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2018, 04:07:41 PM
Stuff I liked when I was a kid: high art. Stuff that kids like today: garbage. Pretty simple really.

I think there is more to it than that - the lingering notion (much weaker now than before, but still existing) that animation is inherently a childish medium.

In the specific case of Star vs. the Forces of Evil, I can't fault people for seeing it as childish - it very deliberately employs the tropes of children's animation (it is after all a show about a magical princess), to give the show impact when they are twisted.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on February 13, 2018, 05:25:20 PM
I made this pic as a thanks for getting 1000 fanart followers on Tumblr:

Tumblr! For shame!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2018, 07:10:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 13, 2018, 05:25:20 PM
I made this pic as a thanks for getting 1000 fanart followers on Tumblr:

Tumblr! For shame!  :mad:

It's a good platform for posting art on.   :)

Eddie Teach

Jacob

Malthus

"After his memorable Song Day debut, Ruberiot was entrusted with a new royal duty ... "

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Now that's what I expect from a Malthus.

Malthus

The pic is actually reasonably closely based on the actual show ...  ;)

Malthus

Another one: Eclipsa - Moon.

With warm lighting added: