Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 14, 2018, 12:28:13 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2018, 09:15:55 AM
Bumped for Buddha

thanks, grumbler, these are great, Malthus!

Thanks! It's been a while. Nice to see you check up on the old site.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Holidays are over, time to produce some new art Malthus  :mad:

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2018, 12:06:58 PM
Holidays are over, time to produce some new art Malthus  :mad:

Here's one - Forging Dimensional Scissors (this character creates them to cut between dimensions):

Just for fun, I took pics at various stages:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

That is well done.

I particularly like the inchoate scissors

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2018, 05:06:04 PM
That is well done.

I particularly like the inchoate scissors

Thanks!

The hard part was figuring out the composition of this pic.

I wanted the scissors to, in effect, split the border - because that's what dimensional scissors are supposed to do: cut between one place and another (in this case, inside and outside the frame).

I also wanted to give the character some depth, by overlapping her left horn over the border, while the scissors-border overlapped her right horn. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2018, 10:52:19 AM
I also wanted to give the character some depth, by overlapping her left horn over the border, while the scissors-border overlapped her right horn.

You accomplished that.  I saw the border as a window frame she was leaning through :)

Malthus

This one really won't make sense if you haven't seen the show.  :lol:

Malthus

Another marionette - Meteora. The idea here is to give the illusion of a paper puppet theatre. 

Malthus

Little Princess Meteora's "Song Day" puppet show, given by her mother Eclipsa in exile in the Monster Temple nursery:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2017, 01:51:21 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 24, 2017, 12:11:38 PM
They got you dead to rights, Malthus.

I'm not a karate master ...  :(

Seriously though, is the animation age ghetto still even really a thing? Many western animated shows these days are deliberately aimed at both children and adults - Gravity Falls (also a Disney 'kid's show'), Avatar the Last Airbender, Over the Garden Wall, Star vs. Evil, etc. Some of them poke fun at the fact that they have adult audiences - but they also deliberately cultivate them.

All of these shows are far more "adult" in themes than (say) superhero movies, which are also aimed at adult audiences (increasingly exclusively at adult audiences).

You need to watch Rick and Morty.
Also, Adventure Time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Adventure Time seems to be geared toward people who are high more than anything else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2018, 07:43:29 PM
You need to watch Rick and Morty.
Also, Adventure Time.

I'm a big Rick and Morty fan!  :)

Not so much Adventure Time, though.

I do find it odd though that adults who willingly watch endless superhero and Star Wars movies would still look down on animation as 'kid's stuff'.  :lol:

Malthus

I made this pic as a thanks for getting 1000 fanart followers on Tumblr:

Someone, on their own, ran the picture through a drawing program to make it a computer image, and sent it to me on Reddit:

I thought that was very neat! You lose the gold effect of course, but it could be fun to try this technique combined with printing in gold ink.