News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I've recently taken up the hobby of drawing again, after years of doing none. I thought, if there was any interest, I might post some here. I've fallen in love with using gold and black ink (no particular reason, I just like how it looks), and doing cartoon-style characters.

Here's a character someone asked me to do a while ago, a lady wearing a "La Catrina" outfit for the Mexican Dia de los Muertos. The outfit is based on the one worn in the movie The Book of Life by the character "La Muerta".

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

That's pretty awesome, Mal.  Didn't know you had that talent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Totally awesome. Unlike some folks I knew of your talent since you've posted some stuff of yours before.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

CountDeMoney

Ed's already whacked off to it.  And I should know.

Jacob

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

not enough jewish teeth.

Besides that it's good though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 29, 2017, 01:53:11 PM
not enough jewish teeth.

Besides that it's good though.

Hey, how do you know the religion of all those skulls?  :P

(Yes, I know, Dia de los Muertos skulls are made of sugar ... )

Malthus

Another little project I'm in the middle of, is doing a deck of cards based on the cartoon show, Star vs. the Forces of Evil. My kid loves this show and got me into watching it. The cards come from the fact that various leading female characters have the French card deck symbols on their cheeks (it's a mark of royalty). I dunno if these will make any sense if you haven't seen the show, though.

So far, I've got pics of the Court Cards in Diamonds:

The really fun part is figuring out how to do the "switch" on the court cards (that is, the separation of the top figure from the bottom figure), where the colour palate is restricted to three colours - and to attempt to do it in an interesting way. Also, to try to keep the designs nice and flowing, not too detailed (I mess that up frequently).

Jacob

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2017, 04:16:47 PM
What size are they?

For the cards, I'm drawing on paper that is I think 11" by 14", but I shave a half-inch off each side to make them the same proportions as a playing card, so 10" by 14".

Obviously it would be better to work much larger (or for that matter, to do everything on a computer), but I'm lazy.  ;) Well, just doing this for fun.

The Dia de los Muertos picture is on larger paper. I think it is 14" by 17".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Can you do a drawing of Peter North.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points