Started by CountDeMoney, August 21, 2017, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 22, 2017, 07:54:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 03:33:44 AM
I have to admit that I don't really understand why we are still there
because you can't afford to lose.

I think we can.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2017, 08:39:28 PM
Quote"Our troops will fight to win," he said. "From now on, victory will have a clear definition: attacking our enemies, obliterating ISIS, crushing al-Qaeda, preventing the Taliban from taking over the country, and stopping mass terror attacks against Americans before they emerge."

That's good.  It's about time someone told the US troops they were fighting to win.  All this time, these guys, they thought they were there to lose.  I like a leader like that.  Clear instructions and all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 08:12:55 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 22, 2017, 07:54:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 03:33:44 AM
I have to admit that I don't really understand why we are still there
because you can't afford to lose.

I think we can.
I can't find the NYT article on the subject, but basically, it amounts to this:
If the US pulls back before stabilizing the country and the surrounding area, before making sure the Afghan govt can stand on its own, you will have a repeat of Irak, where ISIS or Alqueada or both take over the country, install their caliphate, use this country as a terrorist training center, like they did before 9/11.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on August 22, 2017, 06:19:21 PM
Quote"Our troops will fight to win," he said. "From now on, victory will have a clear definition: attacking our enemies, obliterating ISIS, crushing al-Qaeda, preventing the Taliban from taking over the country, and stopping mass terror attacks against Americans before they emerge."

That's good.  It's about time someone told the US troops they were fighting to win.  All this time, these guys, they thought they were there to lose.  I like a leader like that.  Clear instructions and all.

Ah no.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on August 22, 2017, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 22, 2017, 06:19:21 PM

Ah no.
that was sarcasm, of course.  Also, guys and gals.

Eddie Teach

"Guys" can refer to a mixed gender group.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

So that's the mistake all the past presidents  made. They didn't tell their troops to win!
██████
██████
██████

viper37

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2017, 10:03:07 AM
So that's the mistake all the past presidents  made. They didn't tell their troops to win!
kids these days, you have to spell out everything.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2017, 10:03:07 AM

To be fair whenever they did things got pretty ugly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Bin Laden's dead. Al Qaeda in shreds. Mission Accomplished,  go home.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2017, 08:23:41 AM
Bin Laden's dead. Al Qaeda in shreds. Mission Accomplished,  go home.
AQ is resurging and allying with ISIS.  Mission not accomplished.

Boots on the ground are a necessity.  So is aerial support in a modern war.  But you need intelligence resources too, wich have been crucially lacking since the US decided to invade Iraq.  Outside of the British and the Americans, there aren't many NATO countries with an highly sophiscated intelligence network.  France mostly concentrates on its former colonies, establishing a new network there is costly and time consuming.  Russia is not a big help due to recent history.

You're making the same mistakes as you did in '89-90.

We need soldiers, we need massive reconstruction help, and we need intelligence resource to spot ennemy movements and counter propaganda.  And it's another 10 year commitment, because we have to start all over again.  Unfortunately, with your current President, you won't be able to convince anyone to join you on the ground.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2017, 09:24:56 AM
AQ is resurging and allying with ISIS.  Mission not accomplished.

Boots on the ground are a necessity.  So is aerial support in a modern war.  But you need intelligence resources too, wich have been crucially lacking since the US decided to invade Iraq.  Outside of the British and the Americans, there aren't many NATO countries with an highly sophiscated intelligence network.  France mostly concentrates on its former colonies, establishing a new network there is costly and time consuming.  Russia is not a big help due to recent history.

You're making the same mistakes as you did in '89-90.

We need soldiers, we need massive reconstruction help, and we need intelligence resource to spot ennemy movements and counter propaganda.  And it's another 10 year commitment, because we have to start all over again.  Unfortunately, with your current President, you won't be able to convince anyone to join you on the ground.

I am not familiar with Timmay's mistakes in '89-90.  Can you summarize them?

And who is "we" in this last paragraph?  You and...?

And since Tim is getting married, I think you are clearly wrong that he won't get anyone to join him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Most likely bedwetting and things of that sort, given his age.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2017, 02:07:49 PM
I am not familiar with Timmay's mistakes in '89-90.  Can you summarize them?

And who is "we" in this last paragraph?  You and...?

And since Tim is getting married, I think you are clearly wrong that he won't get anyone to join him.
sometimes you can be so obtuse.

"You" = USA.
"We" = NATO.  It's still a NATO mission out there.