Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quebec city:
http://tinyurl.com/y84kkxut
http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2017/08/20/deux-manifestations-attendues-a-quebec

Boston:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/gallery/2017/aug/20/boston-rally
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/19/boston-protest-free-speech-rally

It's a good way to convince everyone about the "peaceful" intentions of the left.   Violently attack the police and the anti-immigration protesters who aren't committing any act of violence.  That is very convincing.

In both case, the number of counter protesters dwarfs the anti-immigration crowd.  Hadn't it been for violence, their message would have been heard and the anti-immigration crowd would have simply looked like fools.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2017, 03:05:59 PM
Do you want to give it a rest?

Yeah a bit odd given the official Boston gov't position on the Boston demonstration.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/man-driving-forklift-falls-through-sidewalk-into-underground-garage/12038359

QuoteOf the estimated 40,000 attendees, Boston Police said 33 were arrested for charges including assault and battery on police officers. Three people were found wearing ballistic vests, and one of those was armed, Police Commissioner William Evans said.

"99.9 percent of the people here were here for the right reason, and that is to fight bigotry and hate," Evans said.

"I want to thank everyone who came here to express themselves in such a positive, great manner today," said Mayor Marty Walsh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Nobody doubts there are violent far left people out there.
As an issue they are however nothing compared to the far right
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/what-trump-gets-wrong-about-antifa/537048/

For starters, while antifa perpetrates violence, it doesn't perpetrate it on anything like the scale that white nationalists do. It's no coincidence that it was a Nazi sympathizer—and not an antifa activist—who committed murder in Charlottesville. According to the Anti-Defamation League, right-wing extremists committed 74 percent of the 372 politically motivated murders recorded in the United States between 2007 and 2016. Left-wing extremists committed less than 2 percent

██████
██████
██████

Grinning_Colossus

From the Boston gallery:

QuoteWhile there were isolated cases of white nationalists and rally-goers being threatened, or chased by counter-protesters, these instances were largely stopped by other counter-protesters, who protected them.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2017, 03:14:03 PM
According to the Anti-Defamation League, right-wing extremists committed 74 percent of the 372 politically motivated murders recorded in the United States between 2007 and 2016. Left-wing extremists committed less than 2 percent

That doesn't make any sense. The murder of five cops last year by a BLM supporter would itself almost be 2 percent of that total. There were other political murders by leftists this year too. Somehow I don't think these and others are being counted.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2017, 03:11:14 PM
Of the estimated 40,000 attendees, Boston Police said 33 were arrested for charges including assault and battery on police officers. Three people were found wearing ballistic vests, and one of those was armed, Police Commissioner William Evans said.

I suspect very few of those 40,000 were Antifa members, so why is viper37 wrong to imply that Antifa were violent?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Valmy

Antifa seems to me to be a vigilante group out to save us from fascism because the police are incapable. Vigilantism of any stripe is dangerous. I am not sure what else needs to be said really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 20, 2017, 09:54:08 PM
According to the Anti-Defamation League, right-wing extremists committed 74 percent of the 372 politically motivated murders recorded in the United States between 2007 and 2016. Left-wing extremists committed less than 2 percent

That doesn't make any sense. The murder of five cops last year by a BLM supporter would itself almost be 2 percent of that total. There were other political murders by leftists this year too. Somehow I don't think these and others are being counted.

According to the ADL they do include the police murders: https://www.adl.org/education/resources/reports/murder-and-extremism-in-the-united-states-in-2016

If you don't believe them, the report is available via the link I posted, but the summary explicitly mentions the recent police murders. The report itself, however, also calls out 2016 as being unusual in the number of murders not being dominated by right wing extremists.

Valmy

Yeah but Antifa (and BLM) provides the necessary 'whataboutism' cover. Tamas explained all about how that worked in Hungary. Whatever your opponents accuse you of, accuse them of the same thing. I have seen memes saying that Antifa is the 'armed wing of the Democratic Party' now. It is uncanny how it works just like Tamas said.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2017, 11:17:02 PM
Yeah but Antifa (and BLM) provides the necessary 'whataboutism' cover. Tamas explained all about how that worked in Hungary. Whatever your opponents accuse you of, accuse them of the same thing. I have seen memes saying that Antifa is the 'armed wing of the Democratic Party' now. It is uncanny how it works just like Tamas said.

They'll do that no matter what though. Your American rightists have a long history of taking their own sins and claiming the left has them too - seems to me the vigour with which they do so is unrelated to any factual basis (sometimes there is one, sometimes it seems entirely manufactured).

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2017, 11:17:02 PM
Worked for Putin before that.  Or even Soviets, for that matter.

Josquius

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 20, 2017, 09:54:08 PM

2% of 372 is 7-8.
An incident where 5 are dead fits.

Also even though that incident is included for the left it wasn't BLMs doing, it was a black nationalist
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 20, 2017, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2017, 03:11:14 PM
Of the estimated 40,000 attendees, Boston Police said 33 were arrested for charges including assault and battery on police officers. Three people were found wearing ballistic vests, and one of those was armed, Police Commissioner William Evans said.

I suspect very few of those 40,000 were Antifa members, so why is viper37 wrong to imply that Antifa were violent?

Because it seems like a distraction. The actions of a few throwing rocks and urine distracts you from the many thousands who participated in what Boston's government says was a pretty great demonstration of American values?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.