What percentage of books you own are by white authors?

Started by Savonarola, August 18, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2017, 03:14:07 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 21, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
What is race without racism? If race is socially constructed, then the idea falls apart if there's no reason to distinguish between races. And if the 'races' are equal--both in nature and in society--then there's no reason to do so.

That assumes that "socially constructed" = "meaningless" or "irrelevant" which is a bit of a jump.

Who claims that racism is meaningless or irrelevant?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 21, 2017, 04:48:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2017, 12:35:16 PM
Sorry, I thought you were actually interested in a discussion not a Socratic dialogue. My apologies. -_-

It's too bad, because it could have been an interesting discussion.  But that's grumbler for you.

Indeed.  Everyone flees the questions about race, because they have no answers.  But that's grumbler for you, avoiding platitudes and going to the uncomfortable heart of the matter.  :(

Feel free to have your "interesting discussion" in this thread.  I promise not to lance your fantasies or post in this thread again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2017, 08:08:14 PM
Indeed.  Everyone flees the questions about race, because they have no answers.
That's going to happen when every answer to "what is race" will be unilaterally deemed by you to be the answer to "what is racism".  Pretty much any question in existence can wind up with not having an answer, if the sole arbiter of what constitutes an answer decides that there is no answer.

The Brain

In grumbler's defense my impression is that he actually thinks that he's being profound and that he has some significant insight. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
:huh:

Akkadians were a Afro-Asiatic people who appear to have arrived in Sumeria a very long time ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 22, 2017, 12:27:01 AM
In grumbler's defense my impression is that he actually thinks that he's being profound and that he has some significant insight. :)

I'm not sure that is much of a defense though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 01:33:02 AM

There's no need for a defence. The attack is simply a social construct and does not objectively exist.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on August 22, 2017, 03:46:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 01:33:02 AM

There's no need for a defence. The attack is simply a social construct and does not objectively exist.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2017, 01:29:18 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
:huh:

Akkadians were a Afro-Asiatic people who appear to have arrived in Sumeria a very long time ago.

They were awesome golfers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

I suppose your idea of "race" makes sense in an social system with only clearly identifiable whites and blacks, with all blacks perpetuated as victims.

But this is from the real world, where I spend my days.

I teach English (and history) mostly on high school level to adults. Around 90% of my students did not go to school in this country. A class I remember consisted of:

1 from Mexico
2 from Thailand
1 from Saudi Arabia
3 from Somalia
4 from Iran
2 from Iraq
2 from Poland
2 from Russia
1 from China
1 from Bulgaria/Turkey
2 Kurds
1 from Spain
1 from Chile
2 Swedes, one white and one from Ethiopia

I challenge you to apply your social construct of "race" in this context, identifying the whites and non-whites, what they have in common, and ESPECIALLY what I will learn by interviewing one "non-white" as opposed to a "white" person.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

Jacob

Delirium, are you under the impression that social constructs provide a clear, consistent, and rational set of rules to apply?

Berkut

garbon you are a stereotype of exactly the reason the progressive left is a joke, and not a very funny one.

If someone doesn't agree with you, you accuse them of being racist, or at the very least being ignorant because of their race (which if anything, is YOU being a racist). It's the very reason why debate is not tolerated in places where it ought to be embraced. The accusation of racism is just too easy to make for the intellectually lazy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 10:12:55 AM
Quote from: Delirium on August 22, 2017, 10:05:05 AM
*white whine*

Quoted for posterity.

Maybe he just doesn't fucking agree with you, and that has nothing to do with his race?

Is that possible?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned