What percentage of books you own are by white authors?

Started by Savonarola, August 18, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 18, 2017, 03:04:24 PM
Suit yourself.

I would argue that the point is not to discover whether you are a "subconsciously white supremacist", but whether or not there are little to no "non-white / non-western" authors in what you read. I would suggest that asking yourself why is a good exercise quite independent from whether you want to self-flagellate about it, or pose as a champion of racial justice. I would use it to see if I am missing out on good stuff simply because of a variety of social dynamics I may not have been aware of. Perhaps you have read mostly classics within the "Western Canon"? Perhaps you are simply not aware of good writers, because they are not part of your national tradition, or not read in your social circle, and therefore, not recommended.  Perhaps it just never was assigned in school (and then, why?).

There are myriads of reasons why one may have mostly books by white authors, and realizing that may lead you to perhaps, seek out something else, just in case you are missing out on a specific perspective. Or don't, out of some principled refusal for self-examination.

I have books like Genji Monotogari, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Roots, and Uncle Tom's Cabin in my library. I have read them. But given that my interests lie in (mostly Military) History, Strategic Studies, and Political Science, of course, most of my books will be written by crusty, old, cis-white males as a matter of author demographics. It is not 'unconsciously' choosing white authors, the vast majority of authors on this subject are crusty, old, white dudes.

I would agree with you if it was proposed in a vacuum. But we are not in a vacuum; isn't it a bit convenient and suspect that such a quote comes out when we are entering a trend of moral panic and witch-hunting for anything that flags someone as an 'alt-right' and White Supremacy sympathizer, after the events in Charlottesville?

My point is, I do not care whether Glantz is Caucasian or African-American. How is it relevant whether he is a credible author on the Red Army on the Eastern Front? If Colin Powell were to write a damn fine book on studying the lives of the soldiers of the 54th Massassuchetts, I'd be the first to buy it.

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 18, 2017, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 18, 2017, 03:00:45 PM
What would positive change be in this context?

Trying something new? Discovering new authors? New thinkers?

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Drakken is an ass and for some reason wants to treat Sav like shit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Quote from: Drakken on August 18, 2017, 03:46:27 PMBut given that my interests lie in (mostly Military) History, Strategic Studies, and Political Science, of course, most of my books will be written by crusty, old, cis-white males as a matter of author demographics. It is not 'unconsciously' choosing white authors, the vast majority of authors on this subject are crusty, old, white dudes.

Yep, many old crusty white dudes. But there are many non-white political scientists out there, should you be interested.

But perhaps you are not.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

I reckon it's a pretty high percentage - probably in 90+% range. I do have a number of books by Indian authors - in particular V. S. Naipaul, but others as well - some Chinese and Japanese authors, James Baldwin, Alexandre Dumas et. al. - but I have a lot of books and most of them I expect were written by white folks. I'm not particular into high brow literature most of the time, and that's where it seems to me that most of the non-white authors that are easily accessible show up.

That said, that is based on some assumptions - there could very well be authors whom I assume to be white who are in fact not. F. ex. it was only recently I learned that Mike Pondsmith (author of rpgs like Cyberpunk 2020 and Castle Falkenstein).

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 18, 2017, 04:00:12 PM
Quote from: Drakken on August 18, 2017, 03:46:27 PMBut given that my interests lie in (mostly Military) History, Strategic Studies, and Political Science, of course, most of my books will be written by crusty, old, cis-white males as a matter of author demographics. It is not 'unconsciously' choosing white authors, the vast majority of authors on this subject are crusty, old, white dudes.

Yep, many old crusty white dudes. But there are many non-white political scientists out there, should you be interested.

But perhaps you are not.

Selecting which science you read based on race feels fresh and modern, not like the 30s at all. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 18, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
I reckon it's a pretty high percentage - probably in 90+% range. I do have a number of books by Indian authors - in particular V. S. Naipaul, but others as well - some Chinese and Japanese authors, James Baldwin, Alexandre Dumas et. al. - but I have a lot of books and most of them I expect were written by white folks. I'm not particular into high brow literature most of the time, and that's where it seems to me that most of the non-white authors that are easily accessible show up.

So much "world literature" is culturally-specific; not all, but a lot--and how can you really appreciate, for example,  a non-western author like Khushwant Singh without at least a basic working knowledge of Indian society and culture, let alone its politics?  I would say, particularly when it comes to literature, you're doing yourself--and the author--a disservice in reading without context or competence.  That's just Ciff Clavenism.

dps

Quote from: Drakken on August 18, 2017, 03:46:27 PM

I have books like Genji Monotogari, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Roots, and Uncle Tom's Cabin in my library. I have read them. But given that my interests lie in (mostly Military) History, Strategic Studies, and Political Science, of course, most of my books will be written by crusty, old, cis-white males as a matter of author demographics. It is not 'unconsciously' choosing white authors, the vast majority of authors on this subject are crusty, old, white dudes.

You do know that Uncle Tom's Cabin was written by a white woman, not a black person, right?

Monoriu

I don't pay attention to this.  But a very high percentage of the books I own are written in Chinese, or translated from Japanese.  I can't be bothered to care about the ethnicity of the authors of the English books I own.

Drakken

Quote from: dps on August 18, 2017, 05:22:18 PM

You do know that Uncle Tom's Cabin was written by a white woman, not a black person, right?

Of course, so is The Guns of August and Funeral Games on my bookshelves. So not only I have books by non-whites, but by women too. Gasp!

Identity politics has nothing with choosing book authors, unless your choice of authors is driven by identity politics. I choosey authors, like the vast majority of people, because what they write is enjoyable and thought-provoking.

Plus, philosophically I oppose the concept of "unconscious sinner".

Duque de Bragança

Do Dumas and Pushkin count as white?  :D
Btw, do mangas count as books too?  At least, for Marie-Ségolènes à la Comte d'Argent. :P

I reckon Sun Tzu is likely to be in many Languish libraries. Arabian Nights not so sure.

As a matter of fact, I don't classify much less choose authors by race, unlike Identity Politics supporters.
As for Languish über-cyber-Nazis, Ibero-American, South European and Slavic authors don't count as white, do they? Maybe some exceptions for classic works, I don't know, their consistency is not their forte.
Not to mention the question of Black Egyptians or Black Greek and Romans for the Identity Politics crowd.  :P

CountDeMoney

mongers

My books have white pages and black text, so can't exist without the two working harmoniously together.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"