Putting on the Reich: An Axis Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe AAR

Started by Drakken, August 16, 2017, 10:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on August 27, 2017, 10:21:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2017, 07:24:55 PM
Seems like another WW2 game that just doesn't get naval combat.  Not only are U-boats way OP in 1939, but the supreme commander of Germany is having to tell them when to run silent, run deep and when to resupply.

It's a computer board game, not ASL. To me it strikes a nice balance between an outrageously simplified game like Axis & Allies and an horrifyingly complicated game like WiF. And IMHO, against an Allied player who knows the Allies' early limitations, but also its early strengths, I would not be able to play like I do, because odds are he would not allow me to. As you can see, Germany is very vulnerable in the West while all troops are stuck in Poland...

You don't need ASL to have realistic strategic naval combat.  In fact, your comment seems to support my idea that there is far too much supreme commander control over naval operations than ever existed in reality.

With each individual attack there is a chance that the defending submarine dives on its own and start running Silent. Plus, running Silent prevents from raiding and decreases range, but decreases chances to be spotted by half. Still, they can be spotted and attacked even in Silent mode.

You don't need ASL-level detail like this in a strategic game, is all I am saying.  I think it is likely that the AI is so bad at naval combat because it can't handle this level of detail.  As a supreme commander, you might have an input on how much of the war effort would be used to build submarines, and that would be it.  You'd never know what submarines would be running Silent, because they wouldn't be radioing you and you don't have telepathy.

As I said above, this isn't a crucial part of the game (likely why they designed it so sloppily), but it makes the whole game sound suspicious if the Germans can stop 50% of the British imports in 1939.  Historically, that number was a bit more than 2%. If the designers were willing to allow that easily-checked part of the design miss so badly, what else did they get wrong?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I don't really mind the "effectiveness" angle in that it is an abstraction. The UK gets some number of "MPP" per turn to spend on the war effort, and the Germans can interdict some amount of that. What does that really represent? I dunno. It doesn't really matter - it is just something to make the Brits respond in a manner other than "Don't care".

I give them props for trying to get some kind of represenation of the Battle of the Atlantic into a strategic game though.

I don't even worry about the level if control really. Hell, the Wehrmacht High Command wasn't telling particular Corps what hex to go to, and how to attack, and all that either.

What I don't like about it though is much worse than all of that.

It isn't any fun.

The naval convoy thing I mean. It is really fiddly, in that you have to shuffle your subs around every single turn. Forget one turn? They are going to be pounced on. And it is REALLY easy to forget. There is a lot going on elsewhere, and that stuff is important. Once you invade the USSR, the stupid subs are a distraction, and one that is really easy to forget, with disastrous results.

And the thing you have to remember to do every turn is move them back and forth, hopefully in a kinda randomish manner. It is like remembering to water the plants. There isn't really any *game* there. It is a combination of tedious and yet very important not to forget.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Drakken

Quote from: Drakken on August 28, 2017, 12:58:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2017, 12:40:01 AM
The allies seriously contemplated bombing the Soviets because of their invasion of Finland. Can that happen?

Fortunately for the Allies, not in the base game.

However, I am sure it has found its way into one of the more serious mods. I'd have to look in Fall Weiss II.

Well damn, I was wrong. The Allies can choose to intervene in the Finnish Winter War.  :)

QuoteDE 204 – France: Send an Anglo-French Expedition via Norway to Support Finland?

§§ Event fires: On the 20th January 1940 when Britain and France are Allied and not surrendered, Paris is in Allied hands, and the USSR has launched the Winter War against Finland.

§§ Cost of accepting: 150 MPPs, with the costs shared equally between Britain and France.

§§ Yes: The expedition has a 50% chance of reaching Finland in time to provide them with enough support to withstand the Soviet onslaught. If so, this means that the USSR will not gain any Soviet territory as a result of the conflict, and the USSR will move 8-12% towards the Axis.

§§ For their decisive action in helping defeat aggression against a neutral country, France and the UK would both gain 500 National Morale points.

§§ The close relationship created between Finland and the Western Allies will swing Finland 25-35% towards the Allies. This will give Finland a pro- Allied leaning, so if the Axis wish her to assist them in their conflict with the USSR, then they will almost certainly have to use diplomacy to obtain her help.

§§ The Anglo-French expedition will return to Scotland at the start of April 1940, with a French strength 8 Special Forces unit of Chasseurs Alpins deploying at Dundee with Full Research, while a similar British unit (called Rupertforce) will deploy at Inverness.

§§ If Germany invades Norway via DE 643 or DE 644 then the Allies will have the opportunity to send these units to Narvik to attempt to recapturethe town. This opportunity will not exist if this expedition

Valmy

That was what Daladier tried to do and what brought down his government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Allies Turn 8: Deutschland über Alles!

The Royal Navy finally catches the Deutschland 300km WSW from the Irish coast, gathering together a motley crew of Canadian and French destroyers, plus a British Light Cruiser. The battle was fierce, but despite heavy damage the advantage still lies with Germany: More damage was inflicted to the Allied ships, and Deutschland will be able to escape next turn if I am careful.  :)

The Allies decided to intervene to defend poor little Finland against Russian aggression through Norway. Howver, this initiative transformed into a colossal failure. They could not reach Finland in time and Mannerheim was forced to sue for peace. Russia gains Eastern Karelia and the port of Hanko.

France sentences 37 Communist members of the National Assembly to prison sentences for spreading defeatism and advocating that we stop going against their Comintern puppet masters.

Profiting from Stalin's attention all with the Allies intervening against him in Finland, I finaly strike and occupy Lithuania. Stalin is alarmed that Lithuania is slipping away from his fingers, but his Mobilization remains at 20% - somewhat manageable for now.

Then, Britain itself profits from going through Norway to help Finland and grossly violates the neutrality of Norway by seizing the Altmark in Norwegian waters. Hitler is incensed, and plans are drawn to speed up operations toward Norway and Denmark.

Drakken

Norway and Denmark are soon to be dealt with, once and for all. GRÖFAZ decided so. :menace:

Operation Weserübung will cost us 140 MPPs next turn, then 90 MPPs the turn afterwards. The amount will be deducted from my monthly tab.

The Brain

Iron ore imports from Norway? :angry:

How about through Norway, retarded Nazi scum.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on August 30, 2017, 01:10:24 AM

Well, Swedish iron ore is coming to Germany from Norway. This is technically true. :P

As an aside, Sweden does provide a neat 25 MPPs per month to Germany too, through direct convoys. However, sometimes their harbors freeze out and become unworkable, and convoys cannot leave. This winter, from November onward I received 0 MPPs from Sweden because of this - more than 100 MPPs wasted because Sweden has allowed an icebreaker gap.

GRÖFAZ is considering sending you an icebreaking ship - with a full invasion army. :mad:

The Brain

Quote from: Drakken on August 30, 2017, 08:13:58 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 30, 2017, 01:10:24 AM

Well, Swedish iron ore is coming to Germany from Norway. This is technically true. :P

As an aside, Sweden does provide a neat 25 MPPs per month to Germany too, through direct convoys. However, sometimes their harbors freeze out and become unworkable, and convoys cannot leave. This winter, from November onward I received 0 MPPs from Sweden because of this - more than 100 MPPs wasted because Sweden has allowed an icebreaker gap.

GRÖFAZ is considering sending you an icebreaking ship - with a full invasion army. :mad:

Icebreakers? Is the Norway route already closed?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Axis Turn 9: Gearing up for Totaler Krieg

Plans for Operation Weserübung submitted by OKW have all been approved by the Fuhrer: Denmark and Norway will both be German next turn. However, the Fuhrer has come with a surprise plan of his own: Starting Fall Gelb while Norway and Denmark are being invaded, to totally seize the initiative and overwhelm the Allies on the whole front!

Impossible, you say? Well, three more Panzer units are available to be deployed, plus a new Tactical Bomber unit. Two Panzers are assigned to support operations in the Netherlands and Belgium, while the last one goes to complete our ordnance in the Ardennes. Furtheremore, both our Paratroops units are ordered to prepare for dropping next turn.

With this daring goal in mind, OKH comes with a plan to implement "Sickle stroke":

Luftwaffe units are all ordered to weaken French units on the borders at the hinge point with the Maginot Line, while Epinal is bombed to damage their rear supply. French interceptors come in to defend, but they are battered away.

We also plan in the longer term, by beginning Research on our Industrial technology to gear up toward total war. Better Industrial Tech means more net MPPs per turn! Goebbels is adamant, this is necessary to get ready for Totaler Krieg.

We also send a diplomat to negociate a closer cooperation agreement with Finland, now that the Allies has abysmally failed to help them defend their sovereignty. If the Allies cannot support them, we can.  :cool:

Finally, we order our damaged u-boats and Deutschland to return to base - and resupply in German-occupied Norway.  :menace:

Drakken

Allies Turn 9: Nothing much

British Light Cruiser and French Destroyer pursue Deutschland on a northern course, successfully inflicting some damage. Being out of supply our Heavy Cruiser is out of ammo except for defensive fire, so we will not be able to send our own broadsides on the British cruiser.  :(

We have no choice but to seek disengagement.

Rainy weather over the whole Western front, all is quiet. For now.

That is all.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Drakken

Axis Turn 10: Götterdämmerung

The code word is given and resonates on all German Heer, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine radios:

Fall Gelb.

On April 14th, 1940, Germany declares war on the Kingdoms of Netherlands and Belgium, plus the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg.

By the Fuhrer's birthday party six days later, they are on the verge of total annihilation. By complete surprise, all three capitals are now under the boots of the German armed forces. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Herr Fuhrer!

Netherlands:

Recon show that the Dutch's main Army is positioned in Rotterdam, and north of The Hague, while the Dutch Royal Army headquarters are situated in The Hague itself. No defence on the border itself.

Seizing the initiative to exploit this gaping hole on their flank, II Corps maneuvers to swerve around the Dutch 1st Army's exposed left flank and wipes out the Dutch HQ from the capital, forcing the government and Queen Wilhelmina to flee in a panic. General Student's 7th Fallschirmjäger jumps over the now defenseless city. They take some heavy casualties due to bad landings, but they seize the capital.

Meanwhile, the main Wehrmacht forces, supported by 1st Panzer and one of my Tactical Bombers, savages 1st Army away from Rotterdam, retreating into Antwerp. 1st Panzer pursues and cleans the Dutch remnants, allowing XIII Corps to seize the city and its vital ports. Now, only II Corps and the Dutch Air Force remains totally isolated around Amsterdam, without any access to the Antwerp ports for relief.

Belgium:

The famed fortress of Eben Emael does not even resist a single frontal assault from the full 18th Army, utterly overrunning the place, while 8th Army deals with the 1st Army holding the border in Liege. 1st Fallschirmjäger seizes the undefended Mine city of Mons, cutting Brussels from its supply line from France.

The way to Brussels now open, 5th Panzer rush to link up with the Fallschirmjäger, attacking in concert together with VIII Corps to concentrate massive firepower on the Belgian capital, which is seized by the latter after a token resistance from poor Leopold III's troops. Only II Corps remain on the other side of the Meuse, north of Sedan.

Ardennes:

4th Panzer and 10th Army destroys the French corp in Briey, which is occupied by the Panzer Corps' motorized elements. Not only we occupy its huge mining infrastuctures and thus deny it to France as a MPP source, but we are now outflanking both the Maginot line and Verdun.

21st Panzer bursts in front of Sedan, defended by II Corps which is well entrenched and offers a frantic resistance against Stukas, Messerschmitts, Panzers, and proud Heer troops from 14th Army. II Corps is battered, and yet still holds the German tanks from crossing the Meuse - for now.

However, Western Belgium seems empty of defenders, and we are now passed the Dyle. France's border in Belgium are in front of us, with the plat pays to Ypres, then Calais, seeming totally undefended. Yet we expect the BEF to come there quickly, Gamelin is so predictable. Like a broken woodclock.

Ah, and Luxemburg falls too. They did not show up.  :P

Having now more space we receive 17th Army and S.G.51 Medium Bombers. The former is placed in Comblenz while the latter is stationed right behind the Siegfried line. All Luftwaffe elements are ordered to move in the same area to give maximum coverage over the rear of the Maginot line.

Due to MPPs being allocated to the operations in Norway and Denmark, not much MPPs are left for me to spend this turn. I decide to send a diplomat to meet Eamon de Valera to attempt to steer Ireland further toward the Axis.

Meanwhile, Italy decides to get riled up for total war too: We invest also in Industrial Research to beef up our net MPP income.  :punk:

Valmy

What? What happened to Plan D Gamelin? Ah well at least this means he has plenty of reserves to plug that gap.

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2017, 11:39:30 PM
What? What happened to Plan D Gamelin? Ah well at least this means he has plenty of reserves to plug that gap.

Well... you know what they say: When you hit the bottom of the barrel, the only way left to go is up, right?  :P