Putting on the Reich: An Axis Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe AAR

Started by Drakken, August 16, 2017, 10:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Axis Turn 1: Achtung Panzer!!

The time is nigh... the Fuhrer has decided to go forward with Fall Weiss, the invasion of Poland, and call the Allied forces' bluff straight in their face.

We expect neither France nor Great Britain to make reality of their "promise" to defend Poland; even if they do, Poland will be done before they can even react.

The first days of the invasion went like a charm: Von Kuchler's troops have already surrounded the Modlin army, which was battered by both III Army and Tactical Bombers. Forward elements are already within 20km of Warsaw facing the fortified positions in Modlin. Meanwhile, von Rundstedt's Army Group has wiped out the Lodz Army and left the Krakow Army severely weakened.The Corps on its left wing went North to help close the pocket surrounding the Poznan Army, while Von Bock's troops pushed it back on the Warta River.

Lodz and Torun have both fallen. Only XIVth Army and the Slovakian Corps have encountered stiffer resistance but managed to surround the Karpaty Army nonetheless. XIV Army has started the Offensive on Krakow against 10th Mechanized Corps, garrisoning the city.

Just in case Great Britain decides foolishly to declare war on us, we dispatch all our 4 U-boat units currently available toward the North Atlantic at cruise speed to cover their sea routes, even through the Channel. All of them are now in position to strike. Also, a Deutchland-class Heavy Cruiser is already in the Atlantic, ordered to raid unsuspecting merchants in the middle of the Atlantic.

Italy is not in war yet. However we get prepared, just in case. All standing units are ordered to go south towards Sicily, while we invest in Naval Warfare technology to boost the mighty Regia Marina, whose role is give support across to Libya and wrestle control of the sea to the Royal Navy. Our strategy, when the Duce decides to join us into the war, is to concentrate on the Mediterranean Sea and go straight for the British across Egypt.

Italy gets a measily ca. 70 MPP per turn. It would be best invested for now in Technology, to narrow the gap between the British and the Italian forces.

Germany, however, will go all mobilization, building as many Tanks and Armies as possible. We starts with 50 MPPs only on the first turn, so we spare them for the next turns.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2017, 10:23:38 PM
I can't enjoy WWII games anymore. Hits too close to home.

Don't worry, odds are good my 1000-year Reich will be wiped out when the Soviets come.  :console:

Drakken

Allies Turn 1: Great Britain, France, and Canada declare war. Traurig!

Well, the Fuhrer was wrong (not that I would say that to his face): Great Britain and France are now at war with the Reich.

Even more surprisingly, the mighty Dominion of Canada quickly jumps on the bandwagon and declare war against Germany. Usually, they do so on the Allies' Turn 2 or 3.

Convoys are thus immediately formed, starting from Halifax, to supply Great Britain with war materials. But one of our U-boat units is aready in the area, on the hunt for precious Canadian contraband like deer meat, poutine, and maple syrup.

On our side, we got the offer to immediately muster Lt.-General Kurt Student's 7th Flieger Division at half-strength, but with an immediate bonus of 50 MPPs to invest where I want. If I say No the unit will come later at full strength, but without a MPP bonus. Thus I accept the offer, since it will allow me enough MPPs to build a Tank on the next turn, and a new Paratrooper unit deploys at Breslau, near the Polish border.

On the Eastern front, the Polish land units in the vicinity of Warsaw attempts to retreat in good order, aiming to build a defensive concentration around Warsaw. If hugged together with Warsaw being the biggest source of supply for Poland, it will provide supply through rails to units in its immediate hexes, even if surrounded. I will have to cleave through piecemeal and aim directly on Warsaw with all available units, while bombing Warsaw with all available Tactical Bombers.

Moreover, All land units except Cavalry and Artillery with 5+ Strength have a ZOC; they lose it when it decreases under 5. I will have either have to waste an Infantry attack to bring their strength down and elimitate their ZOC for other units, or ignore them and consume more APs to move around.

Also, Poland enacts Operation Peking: the evacuation of Polish destroyers to Britain before they could be seized or destroyed: A DD becomes freely active to the Allies on the map for patrol.

At the end, a big 52 MPPs has been denied to the Allies on the first turn, thanks to our U-boats and surface raiders. That is 52 MPPs Great Britain will not be able to spend anywhere this turn.  :menace:

Berkut

THis game is really pretty well done. I was initially turned off by the "strength point" mechanic, but it is actually pretty clever how it is implemented. Why oh why isn't there a way to play against another human????
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Well....apparently there is PBEM. Must update.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your AAR....

0 rows returned

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on August 18, 2017, 06:14:07 AM
Well....apparently there is PBEM. Must update.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your AAR....

Yes, PBEM+ is available through the Slitherine server system. No need for email files. If you want to play by PBEM, I am your huckleberry. :)

From what I gather, we are now at 1.09 Beta and it plays much more different than version 1.0. There are still some pretty minor, debatable balance issues left to iron out, but the developers are quite listening to the player base (perhaps a little bit too much, IMHO).

grumbler

Thanks for sharing this.  I'll be watching this going forward.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Well this looks interesting.

Worth getting on steam yet, or maybe direct from them?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Drakken

Quote from: mongers on August 18, 2017, 10:33:55 AM

It is definitely worth getting it on Steam, even if the scenarios and mods are found on the Matrix Games forum.

Tamas

If you get it from the Matrix store, you can use the serial number you get as a Steam key to unlock it there as well.

Berkut

Quote from: Drakken on August 18, 2017, 11:12:07 AM

It is definitely worth getting it on Steam, even if the scenarios and mods are found on the Matrix Games forum.

Are you doing the base '39 scenario then, or something else? Any mods?

0 rows returned

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on August 18, 2017, 02:32:40 PM
Are you doing the base '39 scenario then, or something else? Any mods?

The base '39 scenario with no mods, as I have the game only since Sunday and I am still learning the ropes.

mongers

Quote from: Drakken on August 18, 2017, 11:12:07 AM

Thanks for that , I'll give it a go a the weekend.  :)

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 18, 2017, 12:03:02 PM

If you get it from the Matrix store, you can use the serial number you get as a Steam key to unlock it there as well.

Good to know. :cheers: