News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish in Crisis (Time of Crisis PBEM)

Started by Habbaku, August 07, 2017, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Habbaku

Looks good, Celedhring. The overflow units inactivate as well, and you did that, so we're good. Note, however, that any barbarians that inactivate in that manner then activate again at the very end of the provincial governor's turn. So, the Nomads reactivate at the end of your turn in both Hispania and Africa.

The legions training in Pannonia take up the curious idea suggested by one of the barbarian kings--more will flock to the Roman banner if only a more...amenable Emperor takes the throne. With fresh support from the tribesmen beyond the Empire, the march on Rome proves successful and the Biggian forces secure the capital for their commander!

Seeing the light, and knowing that peace may only come when the tribes are pacified, the Senate ousts the Emperor and declares the reign of a new figureh--err, servant of the state--Ephemerus I! His reign will surely be as long as the day.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

As expected, with Solmyrii legions in the capital, the governor of Hispania is replaced with one loyal to them. The people of Gallia also receive bread and circuses arranged by the Solmyrii. The western edge of the Empire seems solidly behind the family.

Over to Tamas.

Tamas

Well, the war with Persia has made a turn for the worse.

First of all, a massive Sassanid army has descended upon Galatia, temporarily held up by the Limes, but they will have to be dealt with.

And as if that wasn't enough, Tamasus' army in Syria suffered a defeat when attacked the Sassanid forces, despite being reinforced by some disloyal Sassanid forces before the battle. At least the Sassanid Emperor was killed in the battle.

All this bad news was offset by a reckless long shot of a political gamble paying dividends by replacing the governor of Thracia with somebody loyal to Tamasus

celedhring

Roman stealing from Roman, that's how the barbarians will get us.  :mad:

It's a holiday weekend over here so I'll be travelling until Tuesday. Sorry for the delay!

celedhring

Checking the turn. Tamas, shouldn't one of the Sassanids in Galatia have poured over to Asia? There's 4 in the province.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on September 13, 2017, 02:52:09 AM
Checking the turn. Tamas, shouldn't one of the Sassanids in Galatia have poured over to Asia? There's 4 in the province.

Ah yes, correct, thanks for spotting

celedhring

I'll move the unit myself, then.

celedhring

The restless Sassanids continue massing their forces behind the Eufrates, despite the defeat they suffer at the hands of Marcus Celedus in Asia. Roman legions also send back to the desert the invaders in Africa, and carried by the clout of these victories, the gens Celeda is able to claim back the prefecture of Thracia. Celebratory games and gifts of grain are given in Thracia and Asia, making Marcus Celedus beloved among the plebs in these provinces.

Solmyr

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

With greedy Roman senators eyeing the throne of Ephemerus I, it stands to reason that more legions should be raised to protect the Emperor's holy body.

Elsewhere, the legions drive the Goths out of Pannonia and further show the Emperor's mercy towards Rome's people. That mercy is extended enough via a series of chariot games sufficient to placate the gathering mobs in Pannonia as well...

And, yet, the Empire is not a safe place just yet. With the bigly defeat in Syria, mobs gather to protest the inefficiency and waste of the Tamasian domain. Perhaps he should build a wall and make the Sassanids pay for it?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Fresh from his victories in Hispania, the general Marcus Solmyrius Hispanicus sails to Italia, attacking the legions of Ephemerus I. The initial attack proves successful, although the Emperor's weakened forces continue to hold Rome. One can only wonder whether the Tamasian legions in northern Italia will seize this opportunity...

Over to Tamas.

Tamas

Having had enough of the standoff with frankly quite intimidating legions of questionably loyalty to the Empire, Tamassus' army of Italia marched into Pannonia, and after a brief battle with deserters, replaced the governor with someone who truly has the public's interests at heart.

Meanwhile, an ill-advised military gamble saw the army in Galatia defeated by the Goths, despite being reinforced by Sassanids from Syria. Not before killing the Gothic king, however.

Luckily, the Sassanid forces in Galatia accepted a small tribute to enact a truce.

Off to Cel.

celedhring

Another holiday weekend for me (yay Catalan holiday calendar in the autumn), so I'll be away from my playing computer until Tuesday  :P