News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish in Crisis (Time of Crisis PBEM)

Started by Habbaku, August 07, 2017, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Yes, Solmyr is first. The game order will literally never change.

Also, no one "left me alone" in the east. I was last to pick. That being said, I will also encourage you guys to realize just how far-reaching your actions can be if you wish. Do not get wedded to any specific piece of territory. Do not play tit-for-tat games where you feel like you should "get back" at someone for taking a governorship from your territory.

The game is pretty wild and wooly and if you get locked into revenge games, you're going to wonder why you ended the game ~40 legacy while one guy has 65 and 4+ turns as Emperor.

This, at least, is my perspective after playing ~6 games and seeing people play as if a certain province is "theirs".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

In addition to the above, I'd like to point out just how close everyone actually is. Britannia is 2 points of movement away from Hispania, which is 2 away from Egypt, which is two away from Macedonia, which is two away from Hispania...etc.

The map is actually very claustrophobic once you realize how easy movement and governor replacement is.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Yeah, I was just poking you. :P

Anyway, my turn is uploaded. We have a Rival Emperor right away! The Priest King of Emesa has set up shop in Syria. Meanwhile, Solmyrius Maximus Britannicus has expanded his influence into Gallia and stationed a legion there.

Over to Tamas.

Tamas

Solmyr you forgot to reduce Italia's support due to the Rival Emperor so I did that.

Also I am not sure the End Turn button works ok in the module, it sends played cards to available cards instead of discards, not that it matters much now but could cause confusion later on.

File uploaded.

Solmyr

I think you only reduce your own support in the Support Phase, so neutral Italia and Syria are not affected.

Also, End Turn button seems to work fine for me.

Tamas

Check 10.2:

QuoteRival Emperors reduce the support in Italia during the Support
Check Phase (6.4) as well as in the province where they are
located.

Tamas

Solmyr

Yes, but check 6.4. It only ever speaks of reducing support of your governed provinces, including when you are Emperor and there is a Rival Emperor. At no point is anyone else's support reduced during your turn (it would be pretty murderous if e.g. Italy is reduced at the end of every player's turn).

In fact, support in neutral provinces never changes because neutrals don't have a turn. It always stays at 1 in most provinces and equal to the number of neutral provinces in Italia.

See here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1812481/king-emesa-event-card

Tamas

Ah ok "Support reduces in a province only during a player's support check phase of their turn in the provinces they control. No other time. The neutral player does not have a turn so no support phase--no reduction of support in provinces governed by neutrals. " clears it up I guess.

celedhring

Should I fix something when I take my turn, then?

I didn't select my cards beforehand, btw, I thought we would do that before we took our first full turn. I hope it's ok.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2017, 10:44:59 AM
I didn't select my cards beforehand, btw, I thought we would do that before we took our first full turn. I hope it's ok.

Yep, that's okay. The first turn is somewhat scripted and doesn't matter what you select in your hand too much. After that, though...it becomes very important to select your hand at the end of your turn.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Yes its fine, basically if you want to have a second province like us you need to take 3 blue cards, then the only question is do you want two red or two yellow cards in addition to that.

When you make your move, please move the support of Italia back where it started (8 IIRC) and Syria's support back to 1. Thanks!

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2017, 10:54:58 AM
Yes its fine, basically if you want to have a second province like us you need to take 3 blue cards, then the only question is do you want two red or two yellow cards in addition to that.

When you make your move, please move the support of Italia back where it started (8 IIRC) and Syria's support back to 1. Thanks!

Yeah, I planned my first turn when I did my setup (3 blue + 2 red - I can tell you upfront), I just didn't take the cards yet.

Will fix the support once I do my turn, then. I'll post it this evening once I'm back at home.

celedhring

Marcus Celedus Ringus gives a rousing speech in the Senate calling for the removal of the traitorous proconsul of Africa, who's been hoarding the grain shipments to Rome. Celedus' candidate will TOTALLY not do such a thing. Promise.

In order to protect the valuable foodstuffs from the Berber hordes, a new legion is raised in Carthago and put under the command of Celedus' adopted son - Marcus Minor - whose loyalty to the Emperor is really, really, really unquestionable.

Habbaku

Minimus Bulbus' quiet world of eating Egyptian grain and sipping from the Nile comes to a rude end with a Sassy Nid invasion next door. The Priest King of Emesa apparently pulled some Persian strings and called down for aid which was duly dispatched to the province of Syria.

Deciding to leave all that alone, the Egyptian faction sponsors a new governor in Pannonia and raises a new general and legion there to...oversee things.

Also purchased a Castra (2-Red) card at end of turn.

I also updated Rome's support level. Rome itself, if governed by a neutral, reduces support by 1 for every neutral governor that is replaced. So, Rome's down to 4 now.

Over to Solmyr.

-J. R. R. Tolkien