News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish in Crisis (Time of Crisis PBEM)

Started by Habbaku, August 07, 2017, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Deeply sorry for holding this up guys. I'm still *not* back at my place, got a family emergency and had to travel to my parents'. I plan to be back tomorrow.

My turn is going to be rather unspectacular, so this wait is going to be a bit anti-climatic  :lol:

celedhring

Do lone militias count as "unit commanded by player" when attempting to place a governor in the province, if there's no army or general in the city?

Habbaku

No rush. Life comes first. Hope the parents are okay!

Militias do count as a unit commanded by a player, yes. They are controlled by the player who has a governor in the province, to my recollection.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

The Sassanids once again receive reinforcements from beyond the Eufrates, penetrating deep in Roman territory and reaching Asia! For now the fortifications in the province are keeping them at bay.
Marcus Celedus Ringus tries to bring back the province of Hispania under his influence, but his diplomatic gamble in the Senate fails by just one vote.
It's not all bad news though, since the armies in Carthago beat back the Nomad tribes invading Africa decisively. A further legion is raised in Thracia to fend off the Goths.

Habbaku

Despite getting knocked around in Italia and losing Pannonia, Ephemerus I has cemented his control over Rome and Egypt. With one of the breadbaskets of the Empire in hand, the Senate cannot help but throw away their petty squabbles and clamor for order behind the newly-dominant Emperor. Ave Caesar!

I got to 62 Legacy at the end of my turn and, as I'm the current Emperor, that triggers the end-game conditions...and since I'm the 4th player, that means the game ends as we've all taken an "equal amount of turns." Hail Caesar and everything, sir! :yeah:

Good game, guys. Want to go for another now that we have more experience? Maybe this time we'll see fewer Sassanid activations?  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I'm totally up for another one. It's a fun game and hopefully I'll play better this time.

Solmyr

I'm up too. Would also be nice if Habs can give us an analysis of where we played well/badly. :P

celedhring

I had a few wasted turns since my hand management wasn't great (I don't play many hand management games), once I finally got going it was a bit too late. I really didn't have much of a focused strategy until my later turns.

Cool little game. Wish the theme was more palatable to my ameritrashy friends.

Habbaku

I think you all did fine in most areas, especially Tamas, who expanded very aggressively and without regard for whose "sphere" he might have been entering into.

If there was a mistake made, it was that once I had captured Italia and become Emperor, no one seriously challenged my position. From my plays, I think someone getting 3+ turns of uninterrupted Imperial bonuses is simply too much. Basically, if someone other than you is Emperor, all non-Emperors should be conspiring to topple him to avoid the huge amount of Legacy and support points that will accrue, nevermind the Emperor Turns bonus at the end of the game.

A good way to do this is to always consider who might be positioning to be placing a governor in Italia and to be prepared to counteract that in some way. That could be something as simple as having an army prepared to knock down any legions they might toss into Rome, but also might take the guise of spreading out into adjacent provinces and focusing entirely on setting up a Pretender Emperor territory elsewhere. Note that, while there is even a single Pretender on the map, it's incredibly difficult for a sitting Emperor to accrue Legacy or even to enjoy being Emperor--they don't receive Emperor Turns, and their support in Italia is going to constantly decrease until they're ousted.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Good game! I was strongly considering setting up a pretender empire but clearly I was way too late.

I would join another game, it's fun.

Habbaku

I'm swamped this week, along with running a Legend of the Five Rings LCG demo on Saturday afternoon. Will get a new game started on Sunday, most likely.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I'm going to be utterly swamped this week and the next. If somebody wishes to take my spot when the game starts, be my guest.

Solmyr