Text editor/Word-lite equivalent?

Started by The Brain, August 04, 2017, 05:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

What's a good text editor/Word-lite equivalent these days?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

How lite?

Google Docs or LibreOffice for Word equivalent

for a text editor NotePad++
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2017, 05:21:24 AM
What's a good text editor/Word-lite equivalent these days?

Wordpad is still around, that's very word-lite.

I find the wp in LibraOffice annoying and clunking.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

LibreOffice came up when I asked here for a free Word replacement.  I've found it perfectly serviceable.

Text editors - I don't have much experience with beyond the basic Windows version.  I know they can be highly useful if coding, and there are many alternatives.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Is OpenOffice still a thing btw? How does it compare to LibreOffice?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2017, 05:41:37 PM

So apparently there is a split in OpenOffice.  Most supporters went to work for LibreOffice (which is a fork of OpenOffice), and most reports say LibreOffice is better.  I can't really say though since I just went for the recommendation for LibreOffice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2017, 11:07:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2017, 05:41:37 PM

So apparently there is a split in OpenOffice.  Most supporters went to work for LibreOffice (which is a fork of OpenOffice), and most reports say LibreOffice is better.  I can't really say though since I just went for the recommendation for LibreOffice.

I knew this, but couldn't be arsed to post it here.  :cool:

Personally I'd be happy with an updated version of Clarisworks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2017, 11:07:15 PM
and most reports say LibreOffice is better. 
it has the potential to be better, but right now, they are mostly the same.  But with Libre Office having more developpers, it means more frequent updates.  So far, it has kept up with LO but as a slower pace.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

LibreOffice. It's literally improvements on OpenOffice.

TL;DR: The stupid one-way Apache licensing makes it so that LibreOffice will always be a slightly improved version of OpenOffice until the developers get bored of one-upping Apache.

The everyday differences:
1) LibreOffice makes it so you don't have to worry if somebody's got the font you're using if you send a document.
2) LibreOffice hides the majorly advanced stuff so it doesn't look like you need NASA training to figure out the UI.
3) IMPORTANT: Both can OPEN .docx files, but OpenOffice can't SAVE .docx files. Open-source PDF converters are flaky, so that's not great if you're making files you're planning on uploading like resumes.

https://www.layerpoint.com/libreoffice-vs-openoffice/

Experience bij!

The Brain