Tim Horton's set to expand into Spanish market

Started by viper37, August 03, 2017, 11:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

It is pretty generic. Hard for me to tell a difference between it and Dunkin.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2017, 02:45:09 PM
They'd be competing with other coffee places (including Starbucks) for my "hipster working with his laptop in a cafeteria" dollar.

Tim Hortons is cheaper than Starbucks. The main benefit is you can get food there, as well as sugar snack/coffee.

Dunno if it has anything that can compete against existing businesses in Spain, though. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

For whatever reason Starbucks didn't go to Sweden until fairly late, so there was already a ton of similaresque chains. I never go to Starbucks. "Fuck you, that's my name."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2017, 02:40:14 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2017, 02:19:55 PM
So, is this place worth checking out once it's open? Although I guess they won't source the same coffee as their US/Canada branches.

It's worth checking out once on the grounds of novelty, I'd say, but I don't think there's anything spectacular about Tim Hortons.

Still, if you're in the market for fast food and/or inexpensive sugary baked goods you might as well evaluate it against the competition. Maybe you'll find their value proposition worthwhile... but it's not inherently obvious, I don't think.

So, Tim Horton's in Spain may be a totally different experience than in Canada.

But if it's the same as Canada, I have never truly understood the appeal.  The coffee is mediocre (as someone pointed out, McDonalds has better coffee if you're not wanting to pay Starbucks-type prices).  They don't actually cook any food on-site - their donuts are all frozen and thawed out as needed.

Don't get me wrong I've drank many a cup of TH's coffee in my day, but only because it is so ubiquitous.  I would never deliberately seek one out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

McDonald's has surprisingly good coffee - at least over here - given what they charge for it. They have even started creating separate coffee bars near the entrance of their establishments to attract the kind of people - like me - that would never go to a McDonald's otherwise.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2017, 06:23:11 PM
McDonald's has surprisingly good coffee - at least over here - given what they charge for it. They have even started creating separate coffee bars near the entrance of their establishments to attract the kind of people - like me - that would never go to a McDonald's otherwise.

It's been said here a million times, but if you haven't had Micky D's breakfast stuff you need to check it out.

And here at least they offer breakfast all day.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2017, 05:31:26 PM
I remember there was a Dunkin Donuts in Madrid back when I lived there, doubt it's still open.

They opened one here recently. People queued up like it was an Apple store :bleeding:

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on November 24, 2017, 04:28:06 AM
I remember there was a Dunkin Donuts in Madrid back when I lived there, doubt it's still open.

They opened one here recently. People queued up like it was an Apple store :bleeding:

Europeans appear to love Dunkin as I doubt there are that many tourists from New England to keep them all afloat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2017, 04:47:37 AM
Quote from: Maladict on November 24, 2017, 04:28:06 AM

Europeans appear to love Dunkin as I doubt there are that many tourists from New England to keep them all afloat.

Maybe there's a massive amount of Canadians around that I'm unaware of, because across the street they opened a large Hudson's Bay store.

celedhring

Dunkin made a big push in the 1990s to expand in Spain, but it crashed and burned. Only a few survive nowadays.

I used to have coffee and donuts on the way to work since they had a small shop right on the platform of one of Barcelona's most transited subway stations - one of the few shops that still survive.

We used to have Wendy's too, but closed long ago. I liked Wendy's far more than Maccy D's.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2017, 05:07:46 AM
Dunkin made a big push in the 1990s to expand in Spain, but it crashed and burned. Only a few survive nowadays.

I used to have coffee and donuts on the way to work since they had a small shop right on the platform of one of Barcelona's most transited subway stations - one of the few shops that still survive.

We used to have Wendy's too, but closed long ago. I liked Wendy's far more than Maccy D's.

Now the below is a small amount compared to how they proliferate in the US - but that's still a lot for a country to put up with as a shitty import.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkin%27_Donuts#"Dunkin'_Coffee"_in_Spain

Quote"Dunkin' Coffee" in Spain[edit]
The term "Donuts" was already trademarked by one of the largest Spanish bakery firms, Panrico,[98] so the company was born as a joint venture between Dunkin' Donuts' then-parent Allied Domecq and Panrico (only Spanish shareholders, representing 50%) in order to use the brand name "Dunkin' Donuts". In 2007, after Dunkin' Donuts bought out Panrico's 50% share, the stores were rebranded to "Dunkin' Coffee".[99] As of 2017, there are 59 Dunkin' Coffee locations in Spain, the majority of which are in Barcelona, Madrid, and Málaga. Their slogan, "Juntos es mejor", translates to "Together is better".

garbon

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/29/why-dunkin-donuts-wont-be-known-as-dunkin-donuts-in-pasadena/

QuoteA subsidiary of Canton, Massachusetts-based Dunkin' Brands, Inc., Dunkin' Donuts has more than 12,200 restaurants in 45 countries worldwide, including more than 8,500 locations in the U.S.

The company has opened more than 30 locations in California in recent years and another 300 restaurants are planned. But Dunkin' figures it will eventually have as many as 1,000 locations scattered throughout the Golden State.

celedhring

Fair enough, I guess I just don't go to the right (or wrong?) places. There used to be many more 10-20 years ago though.

For the sake of comparison, Starbucks has 100ish locations while the largest local chains have 300+