News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Static Electricity

Started by Rex Francorum, July 31, 2017, 11:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Francorum

Within a few weeks I will build my new PC and since it is a first for me, I wonder about static electricity protection. I have a recommanded wristband and intend to build the PC on a wooden table on a tile floor. I intend to plug the wristband on to the PSU fan grill. However, I will need the PSU eventually (test parts before installing them in the case)  so I will have to change my source. So I wondered about electrical baseboard (plinths) or even the top of the toaster. Any idea?
To rent

CountDeMoney

Spend the money and get an anti-static floor pad to stand on as well.  Doesn't have to be big, 2x3 for your workbench should do.

Liep

Is that really necessary? I just tapped the case every now and then and had no problems.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Don't wear shoes or socks & regularly discharge yourself.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 01, 2017, 11:39:38 AM

Life advice?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Rex Francorum

To rent

DontSayBanana

Don't wear shoes? :yeahright:

My advice is DO wear shoes, and stand on a hard floor to work whenever possible. The ESD risk is greatly overblown to beginners; at my shop, I don't even have to wear a wrist strap because I wear boots and stand on a concrete floor (and the warehouse tends to be about the right humidity to keep the risk down).
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2017, 10:07:43 AM
Is that really necessary? I just tapped the case every now and then and had no problems.

I don't trust electricity.   :mad:

DGuller

Grey Fox

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 01, 2017, 04:01:33 PM

Don't wear shoes? :yeahright:

My advice is DO wear shoes, and stand on a hard floor to work whenever possible. The ESD risk is greatly overblown to beginners; at my shop, I don't even have to wear a wrist strap because I wear boots and stand on a concrete floor (and the warehouse tends to be about the right humidity to keep the risk down).

I don't want to him to have any possibility of resistance.

Josquius

I don't do anything special. I do it sitting on a carpeted floor. Just touch the case a lot and only touch the edges of your components.

It's a new PC so if something does get staticked to death return it.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 02, 2017, 08:25:50 AM
I don't do anything special. I do it sitting on a carpeted floor. Just touch the case a lot and only touch the edges of your components.

:zipped:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rex Francorum

Anyway, I built my computer without problem. Used the anti-static wrist band.
To rent