Author Topic: Static Electricity  (Read 271 times)

Rex Francorum

• Mouth Sugar
  • General Purr Mew
Static Electricity
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:39:06 pm »
Within a few weeks I will build my new PC and since it is a first for me, I wonder about static electricity protection. I have a recommanded wristband and intend to build the PC on a wooden table on a tile floor. I intend to plug the wristband on to the PSU fan grill. However, I will need the PSU eventually (test parts before installing them in the case)  so I will have to change my source. So I wondered about electrical baseboard (plinths) or even the top of the toaster. Any idea?
To rent

CountDeMoney

• Global Moderator
  • Neil
  • The Champagne of Special Counsels
Re: Static Electricity
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:45:21 pm »
Spend the money and get an anti-static floor pad to stand on as well.  Doesn't have to be big, 2x3 for your workbench should do.
"His affect is that of an infomercial huckster; he traffics in conspiracy theories and racist invective; he is appallingly sexist; he is erratic, secretive, and xenophobic; he expresses admiration for authoritarian rulers, and evinces authoritarian tendencies himself. He is easily goaded, a poor quality for someone seeking control of America’s nuclear arsenal. He is an enemy of fact-based discourse; he is ignorant of, and indifferent to, the Constitution; he appears not to read."

“We’ll handle North Korea. We’ll be able to handle North Korea. It will be handled. We handle everything.”

Liep

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Russia is fake news
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:43 am »
Is that really necessary? I just tapped the case every now and then and had no problems.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger's tormentor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:39:38 am »
Don't wear shoes or socks & regularly discharge yourself.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:51 am »

Life advice?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger's tormentor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:55:28 am »
Yes.

Rex Francorum

• Mouth Sugar
  • General Purr Mew
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:05:41 pm »

Life advice?
:lmfao:
To rent

DontSayBanana

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • Heute ist ein guter Tag zum sterben!
    • Don't Say Banana
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:01:33 pm »

Don't wear shoes? :yeahright:

My advice is DO wear shoes, and stand on a hard floor to work whenever possible. The ESD risk is greatly overblown to beginners; at my shop, I don't even have to wear a wrist strap because I wear boots and stand on a concrete floor (and the warehouse tends to be about the right humidity to keep the risk down).
Your freedom of speech doesn't mean I have to listen to you.

CountDeMoney

• Global Moderator
  • Neil
  • The Champagne of Special Counsels
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »
Is that really necessary? I just tapped the case every now and then and had no problems.

I don't trust electricity.   :mad:
"His affect is that of an infomercial huckster; he traffics in conspiracy theories and racist invective; he is appallingly sexist; he is erratic, secretive, and xenophobic; he expresses admiration for authoritarian rulers, and evinces authoritarian tendencies himself. He is easily goaded, a poor quality for someone seeking control of America’s nuclear arsenal. He is an enemy of fact-based discourse; he is ignorant of, and indifferent to, the Constitution; he appears not to read."

“We’ll handle North Korea. We’ll be able to handle North Korea. It will be handled. We handle everything.”

DGuller

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:51 pm »

Life advice?
:lol:

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger's tormentor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 07:14:33 am »

Don't wear shoes? :yeahright:

My advice is DO wear shoes, and stand on a hard floor to work whenever possible. The ESD risk is greatly overblown to beginners; at my shop, I don't even have to wear a wrist strap because I wear boots and stand on a concrete floor (and the warehouse tends to be about the right humidity to keep the risk down).

I don't want to him to have any possibility of resistance.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 08:25:50 am »
I don't do anything special. I do it sitting on a carpeted floor. Just touch the case a lot and only touch the edges of your components.

It's a new PC so if something does get staticked to death return it.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:37 am »
I don't do anything special. I do it sitting on a carpeted floor. Just touch the case a lot and only touch the edges of your components.

:zipped:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:18 am »

Life advice?

^_^
You are gay.

Rex Francorum

• Mouth Sugar
  • General Purr Mew
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 12:46:48 am »
Anyway, I built my computer without problem. Used the anti-static wrist band.
To rent