Main Menu

Help Meri plan a Grand Adventure (tm)

Started by merithyn, July 22, 2017, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2017, 09:30:51 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2017, 08:43:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2017, 08:25:32 AM

Qufu? There's some history there what with Confucius no?
The whole area is the historic core of China, I'm sure I found a few interesting looking places when researching. All forgotten now alas.

After a few thousand years, dozens of wars, and the cultural revolution, most things in Qufu are fakes. 

Meh, it's the same for most things in Japan and Korea, I expect nothing better from China :p

China must be worse.  In the cultural revolution, there was a deliberate attempt to destroy all things historical.  Only the most prominent sites (e.g. forbidden palace) were spared. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 22, 2017, 02:20:50 AM
What say you, Languish? Where should Meri go to experience life beyond her ken?

I think we need to concentrate a little more on work and a little less on daydreaming, young lady.  :mad:

Jacob

If you are considering Eastern adventures, Air China has ridiculously cheap flights out of Vancouver. A quick google has Vancouver - New Delhi at US$750 and Vancouver - various spots in China for US$670.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2017, 10:16:22 AM

I think we need to concentrate a little more on work and a little less on daydreaming, young lady.  :mad:

Next up: Meri's gap year living in hostels in Europe.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2017, 11:45:46 AM
If you are considering Eastern adventures, Air China has ridiculously cheap flights out of Vancouver. A quick google has Vancouver - New Delhi at US$750 and Vancouver - various spots in China for US$670.

I've heard they also have pretty good deals where you can get visa free 3 day stop overs in China en-route to elsewhere.

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2017, 09:36:03 AM

China must be worse.  In the cultural revolution, there was a deliberate attempt to destroy all things historical.  Only the most prominent sites (e.g. forbidden palace) were spared. 

I wouldn't be so sure.
In the Japanese occupation of Korea the Japanaese made significant efforts to destroy examples of Korean heritage, then there was the Korean war.
Also there was WW2 and the American firebombing of Japan....Kyoto was about the only city spared.
Most of the castles in Japan are post-war reconstructions made out of concrete.
Japanese temples/shrines as standard are made out of wood and go through an eternal cycle of reconstruction so even if there hadn't been a war it would be a stretch to call them original.
Oh. And of course the second half of the 20th century dash for modernisation in both. Just like in the UK and HK that saw a lot of heritage destroyed.

I have trouble imagining China being too much worse in terms of authenticity.
Anyway, we digress.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on July 22, 2017, 07:58:35 AM
Spending more than half of your budget on a flight seems very expensive and will prohibit you from doing much in the location you go to. And I can find a flight for like 600 USD from Portland to Shanghai and back in April next year, so whatever you are looking at seems ridiculously overpriced.

The prices were for the flight and the hotel for 10 days. I'm thinking $50/night isn't ridiculously overpriced.

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2017, 07:31:36 AM
Yeah unless you are picking one location where you are going to lounge about a good portion of the time, 10 days time will probably be overly long for most single locales. So you want to spread about as mentioned with cheap continental flights or rail.

That was more just a general idea. If I went that far, I would definitely explore beyond the city that I landed in.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2017, 10:16:22 AM

YOU may need to, but I'm doing great at the new job. ^_^

merithyn

That's about what the prices were that I was looking at from Portland, too.

The Brain

Japan is very nice and quick to get around cheaply with the tourist rail pass thingy. 10 days will let you do both Tokyo and Kyoto.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2017, 07:53:59 PM

I've heard they also have pretty good deals where you can get visa free 3 day stop overs in China en-route to elsewhere.

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2017, 09:36:03 AM

I wouldn't be so sure.
In the Japanese occupation of Korea the Japanaese made significant efforts to destroy examples of Korean heritage, then there was the Korean war.
Also there was WW2 and the American firebombing of Japan....Kyoto was about the only city spared.
Most of the castles in Japan are post-war reconstructions made out of concrete.
Japanese temples/shrines as standard are made out of wood and go through an eternal cycle of reconstruction so even if there hadn't been a war it would be a stretch to call them original.
Oh. And of course the second half of the 20th century dash for modernisation in both. Just like in the UK and HK that saw a lot of heritage destroyed.

I have trouble imagining China being too much worse in terms of authenticity.
Anyway, we digress.

The cultural revolution is a bit unique and definitely different from a foreign invader trying to destroy things.  In that case at least the local population will try to resist.  During the cultural revolution, the local population was driven into a frenzy and destroyed their own history for political reasons. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 22, 2017, 10:58:07 PM

Not even the 30 day mark, and you're already planning global vacations.
You haven't even selected your 2017 nominees to passive-aggressively blame your work performance on yet. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
You haven't even selected your 2017 nominees to passive-aggressively blame your work performance on yet. 

I'm kinda with Seedy on this one. At least wait to get out of your probationary period before you start talking about heavy-duty vacations like this.
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

As someone who lived in Shanghai for 3 years, I have to say you'd be better off visiting Beijing, Hong Kong or Xi'an. Shanghai is cool if you want to see a real big city, but otherwise doesn't really have much in the way of tourist attractions. At most, maybe spend a day there on your way to Nanjing or Hangzhou.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 22, 2017, 10:58:07 PM

My work performance has never been any issue at any of my jobs. I was tagged more for "doesn't play well with others".

The current job doesn't have anyone like that. It's incredibly refreshing. Its the most functional place I've ever worked. Love the boss. Love my co-workers. Love the work. It's fan-freaking-tastic!

merithyn

Quote from: DontSayBanana link=topic=15099.msg1093892#msg1093892
I'm kinda with Seedy on this one. At least wait to get out of your probationary period before you start talking about heavy-duty vacations like this.

My boss talked to me last week about going to a big meeting with him in Seattle in November, and has me working on a presentation for it. I'm petty sure I'll have make it another handful of weeks through my probationary period, but thanks for your concern.