50 years ago, DeGaulle gave his greatest speech ever

Started by viper37, July 21, 2017, 07:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 08:43:39 AM
Ah yes, the old Donald Trump supporter-like "if it leads to liberal tears, it must be a good thing, regardless of merit" position. That never grows old.  ;)
exactly! :P

honestly, it was much more significant than that, at the time.  It was Quebec cultural and political awakening, and it galvanize the people into pushing for even more long needed change in our society.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 08:22:45 AM
Every so often I would use a pic of DeGaulle doing that speech on Languish as a joke and I remember seeing some Canadian commenting on what a hypocrite DeGaulle was because while he gave this speech he was expanding the French Empire by invading Algeria!!!111  :lol: :weep:

actually, from his arrival in power ('58), he deescalated the conflict and eventually pushed for Algerian independance.  And he faced multiple assassination attemps for doing this.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 10:02:16 AM
Au fait Viper, c'était le 24, pas le 21.  :contract:   :P
je ne serai pas là le 24, il faut que je m'y prenne d'avance :P

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2017, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 08:22:45 AM
Every so often I would use a pic of DeGaulle doing that speech on Languish as a joke and I remember seeing some Canadian commenting on what a hypocrite DeGaulle was because while he gave this speech he was expanding the French Empire by invading Algeria!!!111  :lol: :weep:

actually, from his arrival in power ('58), he deescalated the conflict and eventually pushed for Algerian independance.  And he faced multiple assassination attemps for doing this.

I know. Most of France's colonies were given independence during his tenure and he did not believe in empires. Hence the hilarious idiocy of the commenter in question. At least he knew DeGaulle had something to do with Algeria.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2017, 11:14:07 AM

Bon, dans ce cas, ça passe.  :P
Mais pour la peine, brûle un cierge ou fais dire une messe pour marquer le coup.  :pope:  :P
C'est religieux en diable, ça te fera les pieds !  :D

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 09:51:47 AM
Nice try, but Viper spoke of Liberals (Canadian party with Capital L) while you mentioned liberals (US lefties given the Trump-like context). Not to mention Viper is far from a Trump supporter, again apples and oranges.

Sighs.

I'm not saying Viper's actually a Trump supporter, any more than I'm comparing De Gaulle to Trump!  :lol:

I said Vipes was comparable to Trump supporters, in that respect - that all he apparently cares about is the trolling. Liberals in the case of Vipes, liberals in the case of Trump supporters. 

In short, that he's adopting the same attitude that makes such supporters obnoxious.

That's two strikes ...
ok, stop it kids.

It was a joke, Malthus joked back, end of story.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 11:57:49 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2017, 11:14:07 AM

Bon, dans ce cas, ça passe.  :P
Mais pour la peine, brûle un cierge ou fais dire une messe pour marquer le coup.  :pope:  :P
C'est religieux en diable, ça te fera les pieds !  :D
je me suis laissé tordre un bras pour en faire brûler un pour ma mère, je n'irai pas plus loin ;)

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2017, 11:08:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 08:43:39 AM
Ah yes, the old Donald Trump supporter-like "if it leads to liberal tears, it must be a good thing, regardless of merit" position. That never grows old.  ;)
exactly! :P

honestly, it was much more significant than that, at the time.  It was Quebec cultural and political awakening, and it galvanize the people into pushing for even more long needed change in our society.

I know.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I said Vipes was comparable to Trump supporters, in that respect - that all he apparently cares about is the trolling. Liberals in the case of Vipes, liberals in the case of Trump supporters.

Nah, he also enjoys trolling Americans and theists.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 21, 2017, 11:34:27 PM

Nah, he also enjoys trolling Americans and theists.  :P

He does a shit job at it.  I admit I tend to skip over viper's posts.  They are boring, tedious and misinformed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2017, 07:05:53 PM
He does a shit job at it.  I admit I tend to skip over viper's posts.  They are boring, tedious and misinformed.
Ok, next time, instead of answering your computer problem thread, I'll let you search for non boring, tedious and misinformed solutions on your own :)

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2017, 05:59:28 PM
Ok, next time, instead of answering your computer problem thread, I'll let you search for non boring, tedious and misinformed solutions on your own :)

You once posted a diatribe based on the Witch-Cults in Western Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

So it's partly cunty with an 80% of dick.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2017, 08:18:43 PM

You once posted a diatribe based on the Witch-Cults in Western Europe.
Witch cults?  Me?  I don't remember this :huh:  care to refresh my memory?