50 years ago, DeGaulle gave his greatest speech ever

Started by viper37, July 21, 2017, 07:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Vive le Québec libre!

QuoteWhile giving an address to a large crowd from a balcony at Montreal City Hall, he uttered "Vive Montréal; Vive le Québec !" ("Long live Montreal, Long live Quebec!") and then added, followed by loud applause, "Vive le Québec libre !" ("Long live free Quebec!") with particular emphasis on the word 'libre'. The phrase, a slogan used by Quebecers who favoured Quebec sovereignty, and de Gaulle's use of it was seen by them as giving his support to the movement. The speech sparked a diplomatic incident with Canada's government, and was condemned by Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, saying that "Canadians do not need to be liberated".[1] In France, though many were sympathetic to the cause of Quebec nationalism, de Gaulle's speech was criticized by much of the media as being a breach of protocol.

Ah, such a fuss from the Feds :)  The Liberals still ain't over it.  Just for that, it was worth it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Every so often I would use a pic of DeGaulle doing that speech on Languish as a joke and I remember seeing some Canadian commenting on what a hypocrite DeGaulle was because while he gave this speech he was expanding the French Empire by invading Algeria!!!111  :lol: :weep:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2017, 07:48:42 AM
Vive le Québec libre!

QuoteWhile giving an address to a large crowd from a balcony at Montreal City Hall, he uttered "Vive Montréal; Vive le Québec !" ("Long live Montreal, Long live Quebec!") and then added, followed by loud applause, "Vive le Québec libre !" ("Long live free Quebec!") with particular emphasis on the word 'libre'. The phrase, a slogan used by Quebecers who favoured Quebec sovereignty, and de Gaulle's use of it was seen by them as giving his support to the movement. The speech sparked a diplomatic incident with Canada's government, and was condemned by Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, saying that "Canadians do not need to be liberated".[1] In France, though many were sympathetic to the cause of Quebec nationalism, de Gaulle's speech was criticized by much of the media as being a breach of protocol.

Ah, such a fuss from the Feds :)  The Liberals still ain't over it.  Just for that, it was worth it.

Ah yes, the old Donald Trump supporter-like "if it leads to liberal tears, it must be a good thing, regardless of merit" position. That never grows old.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 08:43:39 AM
Vive le Québec libre!

Ah yes, the old Donald Trump supporter-like "if it leads to liberal tears, it must be a good thing, regardless of merit" position. That never grows old.  ;)

From De Gaulle to Trump, and an apples and oranges comparison. Friday?

Valmy

Vive le Québec libre!

Well the whole phrase was supposed to be 'Vive le Québec libre profiter du bilinguisme canadien' but he got cut off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 08:57:40 AM
Vive le Québec libre!

It must be, since your summary is completely inaccurate.  ;)

(Here's a clue: I never compare De Gaulle to Trump, or indeed, to anyone; I compared Viper, the Languish poster, to a Trump supporter, in that all he apparently cares about is trolling liberals).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 09:07:36 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 08:57:40 AM
Vive le Québec libre!

It must be, since your summary is completely inaccurate.  ;)

(Here's a clue: I never compare De Gaulle to Trump, or indeed, to anyone; I compared Viper, the Languish poster, to a Trump supporter, in that all he apparently cares about is trolling liberals).

Nice try, but Viper spoke of Liberals (Canadian party with Capital L) while you mentioned liberals (US lefties given the Trump-like context). Not to mention Viper is far from a Trump supporter, again apples and oranges.

Duque de Bragança

Au fait Viper, c'était le 24, pas le 21.  :contract:   :P

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 09:51:47 AM
Nice try, but Viper spoke of Liberals (Canadian party with Capital L) while you mentioned liberals (US lefties given the Trump-like context). Not to mention Viper is far from a Trump supporter, again apples and oranges.

Sighs.

I'm not saying Viper's actually a Trump supporter, any more than I'm comparing De Gaulle to Trump!  :lol:

I said Vipes was comparable to Trump supporters, in that respect - that all he apparently cares about is the trolling. Liberals in the case of Vipes, liberals in the case of Trump supporters. 

In short, that he's adopting the same attitude that makes such supporters obnoxious.

That's two strikes ...

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 10:02:16 AM

I think that was the joke.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:05:41 AM

I do wonder if Duque is ever going to get it. I've tried explaining twice now.  :lol:

Valmy

Au fait Viper, c'était le 24, pas le 21.  :contract:   :P

Ok let's bump this thread in three days.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 10:06:50 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:05:41 AM

I do wonder if Duque is ever going to get it. I've tried explaining twice now.  :lol:

A bad, uncreative, recycled joke as backtracking? Shame on you.  :thumbsdown:

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 10:14:18 AM

Won't admit you were wrong? No surprise.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2017, 10:16:54 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 10:14:18 AM

Won't admit you were wrong? No surprise.  :P

You?
:secret:
I got the date right, unlike you and Viper (for once you agree with each other).