Fedgames, or Speaking Craven Flattery to Power

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 20, 2017, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Yellen's term as Fed Chair ends Feb. 2018.  Although the general view is that she has performed well, her reappointment prospects are dim.

She recently expressed some (deserved) skepticism about the Trump admin's long run 3 percent growth projections, saying it would nice to achieve but "challenging"

In response - 3 of the leading candidates to replace her jointly released a letter stating "The policy changes of the kind proposed by the Congress and the Administration, if enacted, would significantly improve the economy's growth prospects . . . Could implementation of such a comprehensive economic plan raise the economic growth rate to 3 percent? We believe it can.  We judge that such a  policy package, in part by encouraging firms to expand by bringing new investment to production, can help raise trend labor productivity growth to around 2.3 percent per year in the nonfarm business economy and perhaps higher."  They go on to posit that the magic Trump fairies will also cause labor force participation to grow 4 percent over a 10 year period.  https://budget.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/on_the_prospects_for_higher_economic_growth.pdf

Put aside the letter's invocation of empirically unsupported and debunked old chestnuts like the linkage of marginal tax rates or deficit spending to labor productivity rates.  We are now half a year into the Trump-GOP dominion and so far the administration has enacted exactly zero economic legislation.  Tax reform has been back burnered.  On spending the US is quietly drifting into another interest default crisis, which may be the most important under-reported story in the country right now.  "If enacted" looks a lot like a flying pig assumption.

As a logical economic argument this is a sad piece of work.  As a pathetic pitch for a job, OTOH it looks like a promising opening to President Sunkist.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

If Trump appoints an incompetent crony to the post, how long is the US stuck with the new chair?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2017, 01:35:17 PM
If Trump appoints an incompetent crony to the post, how long is the US stuck with the new chair?

Six year term I think, although I believe there is an impeachment mechanism.

Valmy

So...tell me about this interest default crisis. What does that mean?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2017, 02:05:30 PM
So...tell me about this interest default crisis. What does that mean?

Remember in 2014 when Obama said if the US defaulted on its interest payments as a result of failing to raise the debt ceiling, it would affect not only the credit rating of the government but the national economy as a whole, and he was called a liar by a senator because "nobody knows what would happen"?

The guy that said that is now the director of the OMB.

What does it all mean?  It means hold on to your potatoes, doll.

Monoriu

I don't care about any of that.  The Federal Reserve needs to raise interest rates  <_<

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on July 20, 2017, 04:43:19 PM
I don't care about any of that.  The Federal Reserve needs to raise interest rates  <_<

Fuck you, you fucking PLA plant.  You're not fooling anyone, you know.  I'm on to you, Mao Say Tongue.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

The US defaulting would cause a new depression and tank China's economy as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 20, 2017, 08:46:30 PM

The US defaulting would cause a new depression and tank China's economy as well.

That's precisely the aim :contract:

Oexmelin

Mono has never have any qualms about wishing misery for millions, curtailing civil liberties, mooching off of whatever and whomever, as long as it can benefit his fucking retirement fund so that he can watch anime he stole.     
Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 20, 2017, 10:03:39 PM
Mono has never have any qualms about wishing misery for millions, curtailing civil liberties, mooching off of whatever and whomever, as long as it can benefit his fucking retirement fund so that he can watch anime he stole.   

But it would wreck his retirement fund.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2017, 01:35:17 PM

To be clear none of the three candidates at issue is incompetent or a crony, although in my personal opinion all are less than ideal.  But this letter is a pretty transparent effort to push for Yellen's job and IMO beneath people of their reputation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson