News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus's Morbid Monuments

Started by Malthus, July 10, 2017, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I forgot to add this pic of the "blank" inscription plate on the crying devil monument.

Why make a monument with no inscription? Weird.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Inscriptions aren't exactly free.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

compared to the monument itself?   :hmm:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Maybe the monument was built before the person died.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2017, 10:23:55 AM
Maybe the monument was built before the person died.

I'm not certain it was intended as an actual individual grave marker. For one, it was built right next to the road into the cemetery. My impression is it was one of those markers you occasionally see that mark some group, society, fraternity or issue. The graveyard is full of those (often for obscure - to me at least - societies).

Example: The Canadian Order of the Woodmen of the World memorial. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Don't you just hate it when people bother you when you are trying to read a good book?  ;)

The Brain

When I sit and read history books crippled chicks always come up to me and beg me to let them blow me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 13, 2017, 03:53:23 PM
When I sit and read history books crippled chicks always come up to me and beg me to let them blow me.

Yes, but have you ever immortalized this scene in stone?  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2017, 04:07:41 PM

All lived history matters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2017, 04:07:41 PM

No. :(

Syt

I don't have my Vienna Central Cemetery photos anymore (really need to go again some time), but here's a few examples.

"Uniting" herself with death:

But there's also the really sad ones.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Wow! Those are some awesome pics!  :cool:

I would love to see the cemeteries of Vienna. By all accounts, they are amazing.

Syt

Vienna Central Cemetery is by far the largest, with more "residents" than live in the city. Lots of 19th century sculptures, too.

It's multi-confessional and has Jewish, Orthodox, Buddhist, Muslim, and other sections.

http://www.viennatouristguide.at/Friedhoefe/Zentralfriedhof/Plan/B_Rest/gruenX.jpg

It's home to wildlife, and it's a wonderful park.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Central_Cemetery

QuoteThe Vienna Central Cemetery (German: Wiener Zentralfriedhof) is one of the largest cemeteries in the world by number of interred, and is the most famous cemetery among Vienna's nearly 50 cemeteries.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Well, I'm sold.

I've always wanted to go to Vienna, and this is the icing on the cake!  :)

Seriously, I may do a vacation there in the next year or so. The central cemetery will definitely be on the itinerary. There is so much to see in Vienna, I imagine, that the only problem will be getting enough time ...