News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Males in skirts - 21st century gets edgy

Started by garbon, June 22, 2017, 10:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/22/french-bus-drivers-skirts-dress-code-nantes

QuoteOverheated French male bus drivers don skirts in defiance of dress code

French bus drivers angry at a ban on wearing shorts in the ongoing heatwave have turned up to work in skirts.

The drivers in the western city of Nantes had asked to be allowed to dress more casually as temperatures reached 38C (100F) in Europe causing weather alerts across France. When the request was refused, six of the men decided to protest against what they claimed were unacceptable working conditions and donned skirts.

"We asked to be able to wear clothing suitable for the high temperatures, but were told we couldn't wear shorts. Because skirts are authorised, we are wearing them," Didier Sauvetre, a driver and union representative told the local paper Press Ocean.

Colleague Gabriel Magner, another union representative, claimed it was a form of discrimination. "Women can wear skirts but not men," he said.

"Our bosses offices are air-conditioned, which isn't the case with the majority of our vehicles. To spend more than seven hours in a vehicle in 50C temperatures is not easy. Above 30C the management could put a heatwave plan into action and allow drivers to wear shorts. We've been asking for this since 2013."

He added: "Once the driver's compartment is closed ... you can't see anything anyway."

Sauvetre, sporting a black knee-length skirt, white sports socks and sandals, said drivers were envious of women being able to wear skirts in the heatwave. "That's why we have come to work in them," he said.

However, Pascal Bolo, president of the bus company Semitan, insisted uniform rules were rules. Last year the company introduced lighter "summer trousers" for drivers. Shorts, however, remain banned as inappropriate.

"It's hard but it's only a few days of the year. We're not in Monpellier [in the south] after all," Bolo said. The new buses all have air conditioning even in the driver's compartment ... and my office doesn't."

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/jun/22/teenage-boys-wear-skirts-to-school-protest-no-shorts-uniform-policy

QuoteTeenage boys wear skirts to school to protest against 'no shorts' policy

Dozens of teenage boys have turned up to school wearing skirts after their headteacher refused to relax the uniform code banning shorts despite the heatwave that has gripped Britain this week.

Pupils at the Isca academy in Exeter argued it was too hot for long trousers and asked if they could wear shorts as temperatures this week rose above 30C.

When this was refused a handful turned up on Wednesday in skirts borrowed from friends and sisters. On Thursday about 30 boys were wearing skirts.

One boy told Devon Live he had been told on Wednesday the skirt was too short and his legs too hairy. Some of the boys had taken this into account and bought razors to shave their legs.

One boy in year nine wearing a skirt said the protest had started with five boys wearing skirts but he expected "hundreds" to follow suit. Asked if he was enjoying the experience, he said he appreciated the "nice breeze".

Another said it was "quite refreshing", pointing out that if even Royal Ascot had allowed racegoers in the royal enclosure to remove their jackets then the school ought to relax its dress code.

The headteacher, Aimee Mitchell, said: "We recognise that the last few days have been exceptionally hot and we are doing our utmost to enable both students and staff to remain as comfortable as possible.

"Shorts are not currently part of our uniform for boys and I would not want to make any changes without consulting both students and their families. However, with hotter weather becoming more normal, I would be happy to consider a change for the future."

A Devon county council spokesperson said: "About 30 boys arrived at school this morning wearing school skirts. It's fewer than was anticipated yesterday, but the weather today is considerably cooler. None of the boys have been penalised – no one was put in isolation or detention for wearing a skirt."

The mother of one of the boys who began the protest said she was proud of him. Claire Lambeth, 43, said her son Ryan, 15, "came home the day before he wore the skirt and complained about it being really, really hot at school.

"He said it was unbearable. I spoke to a teacher to ask about shorts and she said it was school policy [that they could not be worn]. I did say this was exceptional weather, but they were having none of it. If girls can wear skirts, why can't boys wear shorts?

"Ryan came up with the idea of wearing a skirt so that evening we borrowed one. He wore it the next day – as did five other boys. This morning there were about 50-60 of them in skirts.

"I didn't expect it to take off like that. The school is being silly really – this is exceptional weather. I was very proud of Ryan. I think it was a great idea."

Another mother said: "My 14-year-old son wanted to wear shorts. The headteacher told them: 'Well, you can wear a skirt if you like' – but I think she was being sarcastic.

"However, children tend to take you literally, and because she told them it was OK, there was nothing she could do as long as they are school skirts."

A third mother said: "Children also don't like injustice. The boys see the female teachers in sandals and nice cool skirts and tops while they are wearing long trousers and shoes and the older boys have to wear blazers. They just think it's unfair that they can't wear shorts in this heat."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The Scots - "edgy" since the 18th century.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

That is pretty damn cool actually, well figuratively, and literally.

Anyway, I applaud a bunch of teenagers for having the gumption to wear a skirt to school. It's not like skirts or shorts or pants or any of it is anything other than a social convention anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Hell, wearing clothes at all is just a social convention.  Go to school nekkid.

Ed Anger

I wore a sundress when I lost a bet. NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

From an anatomical perspective, it makes more sense for men to wear skirts and women pants.  :homestar:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on June 22, 2017, 04:38:54 PM
From an anatomical perspective, it makes more sense for men to wear skirts and women pants.  :homestar:

Yes and no.  Men wouldn't get the binding up effect with skirts, but I think skirts are better for the gender that lacks a urine-directing apparatus.

Syt

We've received official ok that if temperatures are over 30°C we can wear (smart) shorts to the office, provided there's no external visitors on that day.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

I have to wear my jeans in 40+ temps while at work. We also need armguards. :weep:

For good reason though. I once saw a Polish truck driver cut his calf muscle to the bone with a 0.5mm steel sheet. It wasn't pretty.

It's one of the things that surprised me about our American plants. Everyone seems to be wearing shorts there. WTF OSHA?

Caliga

Back when I did Roman re-enacting I wore what amounted to a belted dress.  It was very comfortable to wear in the summer. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Everyone can wear whatever they want at my office (and they do), but I wouldn't wear shorts to work.
Or anywhere else except the beach or the gym.

Eddie Teach

I wear shorts everywhere. Too hot for long pants.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?