News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US navy ship collides, 7 missing

Started by viper37, June 16, 2017, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to distinguish between the incompetent and the merely unlucky."

Curtis LeMay. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2017, 08:23:56 PM
"I have neither the time nor the inclination to distinguish between the incompetent and the merely unlucky."

Curtis LeMay. :wub:

We should put some statues up to that guy...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Iormlund

USS John S. McCain has apparently collided with a merchant ship in the Malacca Strait. Initial reports talk about damage to the port side.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on August 20, 2017, 07:12:21 PM
USS John S. McCain has apparently collided with a merchant ship in the Malacca Strait. Initial reports talk about damage to the port side.

Whose bending gps?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

I fucking hated passing through the Straits of Malacca.  Had career-ending written all over it.  So many fucking ships!  You basically had to ignore ships more than 10,000 yards away because you couldn't attend to them and avoid the closer ones at the same time.  And the channel is long.  The A-team basically stands a ten-hour watch.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on August 20, 2017, 07:36:10 PM

Whose bending gps?

Gerbil castling blueberrys?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2017, 07:52:50 PM

I fucking hated passing through the Straits of Malacca.  Had career-ending written all over it.  So many fucking ships!  You basically had to ignore ships more than 10,000 yards away because you couldn't attend to them and avoid the closer ones at the same time.  And the channel is long.  The A-team basically stands a ten-hour watch.

Even Murdock?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Ten sailors missing according to nbc. Also, this gem

QuoteResponding to a shouted question from a reporter about the incident on Sunday, President Donald Trump said: "That's too bad."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2017, 10:05:16 PM

QuoteResponding to a shouted question from a reporter about the incident on Sunday, President Donald Trump said: "That's too bad."
His hero wasn't too broken up about his naval vessels sinking, so he's probably just trying to imitate him.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2017, 10:05:16 PM

"I like people who don't fall in the ocean."

Monoriu

I find this totally unbelievable.  These are ships run by highly trained professionals, with state-of-the-art equipment.  Yet time and again they can't seem to do basic navigation right.  What gives? 

celedhring

Quote from: Monoriu on August 21, 2017, 03:01:37 AM
I find this totally unbelievable.  These are ships run by highly trained professionals, with state-of-the-art equipment.  Yet time and again they can't seem to do basic navigation right.  What gives? 

As grumbler said, the Malacca Straits are hell, iirc it's the single busiest shipping lane in the world. Accidents do happen and this one is easier to understand than the Fitzgerald's.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/09/77/97/0977973f117a8f2b5e7c96528c69fa56--strait-of-malacca-airplane-window.jpg

EDIT: Looking it up, there were around 60 accidents in 2015. http://www.cambiasorisso.com/higher-traffic-in-malacca-strait-raises-concerns-about-accidents/

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.