News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US navy ship collides, 7 missing

Started by viper37, June 16, 2017, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2017, 08:52:48 PM
I will hand it to the USN;  when it comes to accountability, they do not fuck around.

QuoteTop Two Officers on Navy Ship in Deadly Collision Off Japan to Be Relieved of Duties
By ERIC SCHMITT
AUG. 17, 2017
The Failing New York Times

WASHINGTON — About a dozen American sailors aboard a destroyer during a deadly collision off the coast of Japan in June will be punished for their roles in the accident, including the two top officers, who will be relieved of duty, a senior Navy official said Thursday.

The disciplinary measures were announced as the Navy released a harrowing preliminary report on the collision between the American destroyer Fitzgerald and a freighter that killed seven people in one of the Navy's deadliest accidents in years.

The ship's captain, Cmdr. Bryce Benson; his second-in-command; the senior enlisted sailor and all who were on watch that night will face career-killing administrative punishments that are expected to be doled out on Friday by the head of the Navy's Seventh Fleet in Japan, Vice Adm. Joseph P. Aucoin.

Dozens of sailors who were rocked from their slumber, the report said, raced in the dark to escape from their flooding quarters. Within 90 seconds, seawater rushing through a gaping hole in starboard hull was at first waist-high, then neck-high as sailors pushed aside mattresses, wall lockers and other floating debris to clamber up a ladder to safety. The last sailor pulled from the chaos was underwater when his shipmates yanked him up.

The freighter crashed directly into Commander Benson's stateroom, ripping open a huge hole and trapping him inside. It took five sailors, using a sledgehammer and kettlebell, 25 minutes to break down the door to his cabin to rescue the captain, who was seriously injured and hanging from the side of the ship.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/world/asia/fitzgerald-collision-investigation.html

Redacted preliminary report link below: some hardcore heroism, as per Navy SOP

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/08/17/world/asia/document-navy-report-on-uss-fitzgerald.html

they don't seem to establish an official cause of the accident, or did I miss it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Preliminary report is preliminary.  So no, you didn't miss it.

sbr

Was probably buried under viper88's copy of Mien Kampf.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2017, 10:53:45 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2017, 09:32:18 PM
most likely.  I'm curious to see how this could happen.  it was a container freighter, it should have been spotted by the ship's radar long before they couldn't avoid it.

Rules of the Road.  If you are the Privileged Vessel, you CANNOT change course or speed to avoid a collision - but if the other ship's conn is being manned by Iron Mike, things can get hairy very quickly.

https://youtu.be/sYsdUgEgJrY

:unsure:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: sbr on August 17, 2017, 11:05:29 PM

I think the word mien is underused by society. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2017, 01:57:15 AM

:unsure%

The first time I heard that "true story" it was Noah's Ark that was supposed to change course.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: sbr on August 17, 2017, 11:05:29 PM
what's your problem Stalin?  there's no more nazis to kill so now you're targeting the mainstream right? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

When you collide with a ship and your CO is still in his sea cabin, you may be facing jail time.  That's as derelict as duty gets.  Not only do you fuck up, but you fail to call the guy who could maybe unfuck things.

The CO and XO are ruined because they allowed such a fuckup to take the watch.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2017, 07:06:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2017, 01:57:15 AM

:unsure%

The first time I heard that "true story" it was Noah's Ark that was supposed to change course.  :D

Did you manage to avoid the collision with the Ark?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2017, 09:56:06 AM
When you collide with a ship and your CO is still in his sea cabin, you may be facing jail time.  That's as derelict as duty gets.  Not only do you fuck up, but you fail to call the guy who could maybe unfuck things.

Wonder what happened... did the guy think there was no problem? Did he realize there was a problem, but figure he'd get out of it himself so he wouldn't look bad?

QuoteThe CO and XO are ruined because they allowed such a fuckup to take the watch.

A bit harsh, but a sound principle of management. They're ultimately the responsible parties.

Ed Anger

Grumbler remembers when his commander fucked up. Off Cape Bon when the Vandal fleet run amok the Roman transports.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2017, 08:24:54 PM
Grumbler remembers when his commander fucked up. Off Cape Bon when the Vandal fleet run amok the Roman transports.

He dropped his drumstick on the slave deck.  Whole ship missed a beat, turned left.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2017, 09:56:06 AM
The CO and XO are ruined because they allowed such a fuckup to take the watch.

I was reading a history of the US PAcific War focusing on Nimitz and the command at the top, and how they made the decisions about how, when, where, and with what to fight the Japanese.

One thing I thought was interesting what how quick they were, and how willing they were, to just straight up fire commanders who did not perform, regardless of whether or not there was truly real evidence that the fault was with commander.

Meaning, "Your job was XYZ. XYZ did not get done, you're gone". The justification was that this was war, and the men serving under commanders deserved to have the best possible commanders, and command is a privilege - therefore, the careers or feelings of commanders was not a particularly relevant factor in the equation.

I think that is something that civilians just don't get, and maybe even non-wartime military people for that matter. "Fair" just isn't that important. Now, it may be the case that you need to give someone another chance because to NOT do so may not be the best choice for the service, but even that is not because it is "fair".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned