News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US navy ship collides, 7 missing

Started by viper37, June 16, 2017, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

US Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald 'flooding' after container ship collision

At least three compartments of the USS Fitzgerald are reported to have flooded after the collision with the Philippine vessel ACX Crystal 56 miles southwest of Yokosuka.
Cmdr. Bryce Benson, Fitzgerald's commanding officer, was evacuated from the ship and taken to US Naval Hospital in Yokosuka where he is in a stable condition.
Two more sailors have also been taken by helicopter to hospital for what the US 7th Fleet said were "lacerations and bruises".
out of respect for the missing 7 sailors, I shall not make any jokes regarding Imperial Star Destroyers collinding with one anoter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

most likely.  I'm curious to see how this could happen.  it was a container freighter, it should have been spotted by the ship's radar long before they couldn't avoid it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2017, 09:32:18 PM
it was a container freighter, it should have been spotted by the ship's radar long before they couldn't avoid it.

jimmy olsen

Freightes are pretty damn big. They should have seen it with their eyeballs.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2017, 09:32:18 PM
most likely.  I'm curious to see how this could happen.  it was a container freighter, it should have been spotted by the ship's radar long before they couldn't avoid it.

Rules of the Road.  If you are the Privileged Vessel, you CANNOT change course or speed to avoid a collision - but if the other ship's conn is being manned by Iron Mike, things can get hairy very quickly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2017, 10:53:06 PM

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It's why I'm higher ranked than Cmdr. Benson :yes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2017, 11:12:22 PM
It's why I'm higher ranked than Cmdr. Benson :yes:

Nah, you're just an army captain.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2017, 10:53:06 PM
what I meant, is long before they could see it on a trajectory that would likely result in a collision course, they should have spotted there was a danger and take appropriate measures.

Rules of the Road.  If you are the Privileged Vessel, you CANNOT change course or speed to avoid a collision - but if the other ship's conn is being manned by Iron Mike, things can get hairy very quickly.
You mean the US Destroyer could likely not change course or speed to avoid the freighter when it looks likely it will be hit by some freighter?

How "fixed" are these rules?  Are they like absolute rules, or more like guidelines?

The Brain

:(

I'd like to think that Western naval vessels have fewer instances of Costa Concordia style captaining than civilian ships, though they did run Missouri aground. :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Command of a destroyer just opened.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Vricklund

[quote ]
How "fixed" are these rules?  Are they like absolute rules, or more like guidelines?
[/quote]I think they're pretty fixed. The rule - as I learnt it growing up sailing - is that both boats should turn starboard when there's a risk of collision. Boats that are catching up veer for the slower ship until completely clear.

The damage is on the starboard side and shouldn't be if they both veered according to the rules and it doesn't look like its been hit from behind.

Motorboats often mistake the speed of sailboats, they're faster than you think, so I've been quite a few situations with a faster boat trying to squeeze past my bow. Possibly the destroyer made the same mistake in how fast that freighter was going.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2017, 02:00:01 AM
:(

I'd like to think that Western naval vessels have fewer instances of Costa Concordia style captaining than civilian ships, though they did run Missouri aground. :hmm:

Or look up the Honda Point Disaster.