Possibly need a new Hard Drive

Started by Razgovory, June 14, 2017, 01:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 25, 2017, 11:21:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2017, 02:27:53 PM
Are there any advantages to a non-ssd drive?
I know for virtual memory SSD's aren't recommended due to the intense read/write this involves?

I've never come across an M2. So these things are replacing SSDs?

Write instructions slowly destroy SSDs. The more you write to them, the faster they die. That's why conventional wisdom is to keep your OS and frequently used programs on an SSD and everything else (including the swap file) on a traditional HDD.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
I think your link is disagreeing with the point you're making.  If it's going to take 18 months to brick an SSD while intentionally torturing it with writes, it probably means that write endurance is not something you need to worry about.  Your SSD is going to get outdated before it craps out.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2017, 07:00:38 PM
I think your link is disagreeing with the point you're making.  If it's going to take 18 months to brick an SSD while intentionally torturing it with writes, it probably means that write endurance is not something you need to worry about.  Your SSD is going to get outdated before it craps out.

Except they call the page file the swap file for a reason. It's about as close to the worst case as you can get in drive operations, because it's constantly reallocating memory clusters. If it takes a year and a half to brick an SSD with a burn-in, I wouldn't be surprised for it to brick in about 2-3 years if it's being used for a swap file.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 27, 2017, 01:01:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2017, 07:00:38 PM

Except they call the page file the swap file for a reason. It's about as close to the worst case as you can get in drive operations, because it's constantly reallocating memory clusters. If it takes a year and a half to brick an SSD with a burn-in, I wouldn't be surprised for it to brick in about 2-3 years if it's being used for a swap file.
It's not like your entire drive is being used for a swap file.  Maybe 5% of it is at any time.  And Windows is pretty good at figuring out what to put into a swap file so it doesn't need to be rewritten all the time.  SSD or HDD, performance would really suck if there really was any significant swapping.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2017, 07:19:29 PM
It's not like your entire drive is being used for a swap file.  Maybe 5% of it is at any time.  And Windows is pretty good at figuring out what to put into a swap file so it doesn't need to be rewritten all the time.  SSD or HDD, performance would really suck if there really was any significant swapping.

:rolleyes: Thank you for enlightening me. It's not like I just graduated with a computer science degree. Or am probably the only person on this board who has had to actually document the changes in how the swap file works between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Or work in a business where resolving drive issues is our second-biggest source of revenue (which will become number one, since less and less people want to pay for screen replacements for cheap laptops, and expect phone screens to be replaced for pennies on the dollar).
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Beat his track suited ass! HOOT HOOT HOOT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 31, 2017, 02:06:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2017, 07:19:29 PM

:rolleyes: Thank you for enlightening me. It's not like I just graduated with a computer science degree. Or am probably the only person on this board who has had to actually document the changes in how the swap file works between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Or work in a business where resolving drive issues is our second-biggest source of revenue (which will become number one, since less and less people want to pay for screen replacements for cheap laptops, and expect phone screens to be replaced for pennies on the dollar).
I don't care what your personal expertise is, frankly.  If anything, the more you think you know about a certain subject, the more prone you are to spouting off some disjoint utter nonsense.

The internet is full of people with expertise in these matters, you're not the only one around, and collectively they know much more than any one person.  It's pretty much accepted by now that "no page file on SSD" advice is way outdated, and not supported by the math of how much actually gets written per day to page file.

Razgovory

If you install a secondary hard drive do you need to install an OP for that one as well?  All I really want to do is play Warhammer
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017