News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warhammer 40K 8th Edition

Started by Jacob, June 07, 2017, 01:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The new edition of 40K is coming out on the 17th, but the rules and codices have already leaked.

Do we have anyone here who plays or follows 40K? Personally, I'm trying to get my Imperial Guard ready to try the new edition out.

The Brain

:rolleyes: Yeah HEAVEN FORBID we use the existing thread: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,399.0.html

I still have a Space Marines army on my workbench, but I find it hard to get into GW stuff these days. It takes me years to paint an army and editions change all the time (which was always the case). More importantly the way they change fluff and killed off the Warhammer world make not want to keep up anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Stopped following it years ago. Occasionally have the temptation to get back into it but...GW are just crooks. As Brain says killing Warhammer, wtf.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I got some of the new Thousand Sons models around Christmas time as a gift.  I haven't done anything with them yet, but apparently the new edition actually makes them viable.  Which is nice.    There are actually a few gaming stores popping up in my neck of the woods, so I might actually learn to play and paint them up at some point.  I'm with The Brain on the idiocy of killing the traditional Warhammer Fantasy setting.  I do hear that the new rules for Age of Sigmar are good though.  At least they're maintaining the Old World as the setting for WHFRP.  I'm definitely going to check that out when it drops.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Malicious Intent

I'm still actively following WH40k and have pre-ordered the new edition boxed set. As it turned out, the release date falls on the start of my next vacation, so I hope to get some painting done. Maybe I'll embarrass myself by posting some stuff here.  :Embarrass:

GW has actually really taken a turn to the better in the last few years, after the former CEO ("Games Workshop is not a gaming company") was removed. I was surprised when some of the game designers openly called the previous era "the dark years" on Warhammer TV. Shows you how bad management's influence on the studio must have been.

I was very unhappy about the decision to kill of the old Warhammer Fantasy setting, but I can understand that drastic steps were necessary. The whole product line was allegedly bleeding money, since the format was presenting too steep an entry level for new players (complex rules + lot's of models needed for even a very small army), while the veterans had their armies and were not buying much. After some starting problems, Age of Sigmar seems to have taken off now. And GW will bring back the Old World for a new iteration of WHFRPG.

Josquius

Promising if so.
Haven't been in a UK gw shop in years but seeing the prices of plastic models here... They've some way to go
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I have zero problems with GW killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle, AFAICT that was a sound decision. They could easily have done so without killing off the Warhammer world.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2017, 01:22:02 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah HEAVEN FORBID we use the existing thread: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,399.0.html

I still have a Space Marines army on my workbench, but I find it hard to get into GW stuff these days. It takes me years to paint an army and editions change all the time (which was always the case). More importantly the way they change fluff and killed off the Warhammer world make not want to keep up anymore.

This is Warhammer 40k.  It is only tangentially related to miniatures.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2017, 05:37:56 PM

:unsure:

fromtia

I bought the first edition back in the 80's and glance at it online from time to time, but don't find it compelling.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on June 10, 2017, 01:41:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2017, 05:37:56 PM

:unsure:

You are ruining the joke.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: fromtia on June 10, 2017, 08:30:42 AM
I bought the first edition back in the 80's and glance at it online from time to time, but don't find it compelling.

The modern setting only really coalesced around 3rd edition IIRC.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point