And we're back!

Main Menu

Stay weird Portland.

Started by katmai, May 27, 2017, 12:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2017, 06:49:11 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 27, 2017, 02:40:35 PM
If you can't handle an edgy situation, don't stick your nose in it.

Sure. Of course that's easier to judge in retrospect.

Right. Unfortunately yelling racist shit is not uncommon enough for people to think that the person doing it is a dangerous felon. That is a pretty specific situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

You do realize he's using tasteless knife-related puns because he's being a dick, right? Or are you just being a counter-dick in retaliation?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2017, 08:45:32 PM

You do realize he's using tasteless knife-related puns because he's being a dick, right? Or are you just being a counter-dick in retaliation?

We walk a razor's edge here at Languish.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

That's putting a fine point on it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2017, 02:21:49 PM
Also happening in Portland:

Man yells racist things at brown women on the train. Two bystanders intervene and are stabbed to death by the racist guy.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-train-attack-stabbing/

No win situation. You intervene, you get stabbed. You don't do anything, you empower to the douchebag. You call the cops, they laugh at you for calling them on this non-issue.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure ignoring crazies yelling things on buses "empowers" them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 28, 2017, 02:42:12 AM
I'm not sure ignoring crazies yelling things on buses "empowers" them.

Not sure "empowers" is the word that describes what I meant. He would walk away thinking, "Well, that was all right, and no one interfered, so they tacitly agreed." Or at a minimum not noticing that this is not socially acceptable behavior.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

One of the guys that died intervening was a vet.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I guess the moral of the story is that you should shoot Nazis at first contact.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on May 28, 2017, 04:31:20 AM

That didn't make sense at all, I actually started looking for an obscure pun, until I realized you meant veteran.  :blush:

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on May 28, 2017, 07:52:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 28, 2017, 04:31:20 AM

That didn't make sense at all, I actually started looking for an obscure pun, until I realized you meant veteran.  :blush:

:lol:

This place has changed you, man.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2017, 03:54:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2017, 02:21:49 PM
Also happening in Portland:

Man yells racist things at brown women on the train. Two bystanders intervene and are stabbed to death by the racist guy.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-train-attack-stabbing/

Good bless America, where your only options are:
1) Mind your business
2) Carry a gun
and be at an immediate disadvantage?  No thank you.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I think that is a knife that puts you at a disadvantage. I miss Top Cat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Apparently the county's GOP chairman is floating the idea of getting militias to act as security forces for Republican public events.  :wacko:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

QuotePortland Republican says party should use militia groups after racial attack

County GOP chair James Buchal says security forces may be appropriate as tensions rise after two people died in a racial attack on public transport

(...)
Multnomah County GOP chair James Buchal, however, told the Guardian that recent street protests had prompted Portland Republicans to consider alternatives to "abandoning the public square".

"I am sort of evolving to the point where I think that it is appropriate for Republicans to continue to go out there," he said. "And if they need to have a security force protecting them, that's an appropriate thing too."

Asked if this meant Republicans making their own security arrangements rather than relying on city or state police, Buchal said: "Yeah. And there are these people arising, like the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters."

Asked if he was considering such groups as security providers, Buchal said: "Yeah. We're thinking about that. Because there are now belligerent, unstable people who are convinced that Republicans are like Nazis."

The Oath Keepers are described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as "one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the US", recruiting current and former military and law enforcement personnel. They have recently appeared at rallies from Berkeley to Boston, standing with activists from the far right, activists holding what were once fringe positions who have recently risen to national prominence.

The Three Percenters are described by Political Research Associates as "a paramilitary group that pledges armed resistance against attempts to restrict private gun ownership". They were a highly visible presence in Burns, Oregon, before and during the occupation of the Malheur wildlife refuge by rightwing militia early in 2016.

And nothing dispels accusations of being nazis than employing a private paramilitary force for security!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2017, 05:08:11 AM
I guess the moral of the story is that you should shoot Nazis at first contact.

He was a Bernie voter.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall