Top 100 RPG of all time

Started by viper37, May 25, 2017, 03:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

http://ca.ign.com/lists/top-100-rpgs/100

Mass Effect 2, #11.
The Witcher 3, #10.
Mass Effect 3 nowhere to be seen :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

It's kind of hard to deal with sequels in a list like that.  I mean they have Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, and Fallout New Vegas, but not 3 or 4?  I guess they wanted to avoid just having a lit of the top 10-20 RPG series, but couldn't come up with 100 separate RPG titles?

It reminds me - Stardew Valley comes in at #51.  I think I'm over 40 hours into the damn thing.  For being a simple farming game it is reasonably deep.  Problem is I suck at the fishing game, and if I want to "win" the game by finishing the community centre bundles I need to get a lot of fish.  Not sure if I  should power through on fishing, or just give up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

It's a bit strange that KotOR2 is nowhere on that list.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2017, 04:13:36 PM

I thought it wasn't nearly as well-regarded as the first, due to being incomplete.

It's odd there aren't more MMOs on that list too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2017, 04:20:46 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2017, 04:13:36 PM

I thought it wasn't nearly as well-regarded as the first, due to being incomplete.

It's odd there aren't more MMOs on that list too.

Except it is much better than the first one in almost every way. I mean Bloodlines is on there and it was far less complete.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Tons of games on that list that are questionable as RPGs. Darkest Dungeon? How is that a RPG?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Only 1 of the top ten were made in the last 10 years.  I've played 8 of the top 10.  I never was into that Pokemon stuff, and I didn't own a Playstation so I don't even know what vagrant story is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2017, 04:08:38 PM
It's kind of hard to deal with sequels in a list like that.  I mean they have Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, and Fallout New Vegas, but not 3 or 4?  I guess they wanted to avoid just having a lit of the top 10-20 RPG series, but couldn't come up with 100 separate RPG titles?

It reminds me - Stardew Valley comes in at #51.  I think I'm over 40 hours into the damn thing.  For being a simple farming game it is reasonably deep.  Problem is I suck at the fishing game, and if I want to "win" the game by finishing the community centre bundles I need to get a lot of fish.  Not sure if I  should power through on fishing, or just give up.
I disagree with much of the ratings, personally.  Mass Effect 2 is a nice game, but #11 in a best RPG list?  Not really.  The Witcher 3, on release, was a 150+hrs game.  ME 2 could have been done in a week end.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Pfft, misleading title.  These are video games, not RPGs.

Duque de Bragança

Good list, except for having sequels.  :P
Points for having Ogre Battle games, this includes Final Fantasy Tactics. Only missing Ogre Battle 64, best S-CRPG of the platform.
I guess Suikoden V could have been there too, if they included sequels. No question about Suikoden II being the best though.

Razgovory

Noticed that Rogue and Might and Magic are not mentioned.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I'm happy to see Chrono Trigger in the top slot.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Chrono Trigger was amazing, yes. Very cool story, time travel mindfuckery, plot twists and multiple endings. :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Suikoden 2 is in the top 20 which is good albeit not quite high enough.
No original Suikoden at all however?
Wtf.
3 and 5 deserve to be in the top 100 too.
██████
██████
██████