Explosions in Manchester: Ariana Grande concert, "a number of fatalities"

Started by CountDeMoney, May 22, 2017, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

She's one of the long list of singers with name recognition but no sound recognition
██████
██████
██████

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/22/europe/live-blog-manchester-arena/index.html

QuoteTrump calls attackers 'evil losers'

US President Donald Trump has condemned the attack in Manchester during his visit to Bethlehem.

In a speech alongside Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Trump said those responsible for the deaths of 22 people in Manchester were "evil losers in life."

"I won't call them monsters because they would like that term," Trump said.

"I will call them from now on losers because that's what they are."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2017, 04:43:11 AM
He has a point, actually.

A childish point.

One person in that post sounds like an adult, one sounds like a middle schooler.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Childish gibes may resonate more with prospective jihadists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 23, 2017, 04:50:46 AM
Childish gibes may resonate more with prospective jihadists.

Calling them evil losers is going to get them to stop? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2017, 04:45:27 AM

A childish point.

One person in that post sounds like an adult, one sounds like a middle schooler.

Well, one is the seemingly honest reaction of an impulsive moron, the other is the run of the mill, crafted-to-soullessness reaction of a professional politician.

And the point is, we SHOULD avoid raising these terrorist to some kind of demonic anti-pedestal. They are NOT evil masterminds with an agenda.
These people are Europe's version of school shooters - frustrated losers. Unfortunately, due to their heritage and religion, they were able to find a channel and amplifier for their frustrations

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2017, 05:19:04 AM
Well, one is the seemingly honest reaction of an impulsive moron, the other is the run of the mill, crafted-to-soullessness reaction of a professional politician.

I dunno, man. I think it's a bit of a reach to call the suicide bomber a professional politician.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2017, 05:19:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2017, 04:45:27 AM

A childish point.

And the point is, we SHOULD avoid raising these terrorist to some kind of demonic anti-pedestal. They are NOT evil masterminds with an agenda.
These people are Europe's version of school shooters - frustrated losers. Unfortunately, due to their heritage and religion, they were able to find a channel and amplifier for their frustrations

It is a bit rich positing that Trump is making that point as Trump's base of support is all about terrorists being evil masterminds out to destroy the west.

I don't get what is so great about honest reactions either but then I don't vote for populist politicians. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 23, 2017, 01:22:38 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if it was a returning ISIS fighter, we've been warned that several hundred of these will grace our shores with their presence now that their "caliphate" is fucked.

One of the intel business talking heads last time said they estimate Britain alone has roughly 500 individuals with direct training and combat experience in Syria, never mind the thousands of wired sympathizers.  It's nice you get to come home from something like that.

Tamas

I was reacting to the facts that incidentally ended up pointed out by Trump. That does not make an uncritical supporter of Trump. He is a horrible scourge

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2017, 05:41:15 AM
I was reacting to the facts that incidentally ended up pointed out by Trump. That does not make an uncritical supporter of Trump. He is a horrible scourge

You are giving him credit where basically none is due. I don't think anyone reasonable actually views us in a big masterminded war of islam vs the west. Also, I'm not sure that anyone thinks we should glorify terrorists, in fact, constant opinion pieces about how we shouldn't.

And again, Trump's support and stance on Islam is actually the narrative that boosts the profile of Islamic terrorists. The man who insists on stating 'radical islamic terrorism'.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2017, 05:52:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2017, 05:41:15 AM

You are giving him credit where basically none is due. I don't think anyone reasonable actually views us in a big masterminded war of islam vs the west. Also, I'm not sure that anyone thinks we should glorify terrorists, in fact, constant opinion pieces about how we shouldn't.

And again, Trump's support and stance on Islam is actually the narrative that boosts the profile of Islamic terrorists. The man who insists on stating 'radical islamic terrorism'.

You are overreacting. What Trump said, was true. He does end up saying true things every once in a while, like how his daughter is hot (can't recall anything else right now(. That doesn't make him any less despicable.