National Lampoon's Presidential Vacation: The Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, May 19, 2017, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Trump is just showing off his astonishingly excellent health.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2017, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2017, 05:06:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2017, 05:04:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 28, 2017, 04:54:32 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 28, 2017, 04:51:17 PM
QuoteGreek amphitheatre

:bleeding:

You know Greeks didn't have the only type, right?

You know the one they're referring to in the story is actually of ancient Greek construction, right?

You know it likely is just a theatre, and not an amphitheatre?

A quick google search indicates that it is an amphitheater but is probably of Roman build to a Greek design.

The Greeks did not build amphitheatres.

And technically yes, the "Greek theatre" of Taormina is most likely a Roman era construction.

Syt

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/868838877653553153
QuoteDavid Frum‏
@davidfrum

Since 1945, the supreme strategic goal in Europe of the USSR and then Russia was the severing of the US-German alliance. Trump delivered.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2017, 12:28:59 AM

And technically yes, the "Greek theatre" of Taormina is most likely a Roman era construction.

All Greek theaters were amphitheatres, as far as I am aware.  A theater does not have to be circular to be an amphitheatre; semicircular works as well.

Edit:  Never mind.  I was incorrect in my dating of the term.  It is derived from ancient Greek, but the Romans coined it and so, as you note, the Greeks couldn't have built amphitheatres.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

The important thing is that it's a really lovely place.  :wub:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2017, 04:20:53 AM
QuoteDavid Frum‏
@davidfrum

Since 1945, the supreme strategic goal in Europe of the USSR and then Russia was the severing of the US-German alliance. Trump delivered.

You need to tell your countrymen to start cranking out more Leopards.  You're going to need a lot more Panzer divisions to defend the Balkans and Poland.

GERMANY
THIS TIME A FORCE FOR GOOD

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2017, 07:17:19 AM
Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2017, 12:28:59 AM

All Greek theaters were amphitheatres, as far as I am aware.  A theater does not have to be circular to be an amphitheatre; semicircular works as well.

Edit:  Never mind.  I was incorrect in my dating of the term.  It is derived from ancient Greek, but the Romans coined it and so, as you note, the Greeks couldn't have built amphitheatres.

Not quite. The ancients reserved the name amphitheatre strictly for fully circular/oval buildings. All of the Greek and Roman semicircular theatres are just theatres, never amphitheatres.
And of course their functions were different as well.

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2017, 08:31:49 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2017, 04:20:53 AM
QuoteDavid Frum‏
@davidfrum

You need to tell your countrymen to start cranking out more Leopards.  You're going to need a lot more Panzer divisions to defend the Balkans and Poland.

GERMANY
THIS TIME A FORCE FOR GOOD
Merkel's comment got more attention internationally than merited. She is currently campaigning and a bit of America-skepticism has always been popular with German voters and Trump is an easy target as he is extremely unpopular in Germany. She is and will stay an instinctive transatlanticist.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on May 29, 2017, 12:17:55 PM
Merkel's comment got more attention internationally than merited. She is currently campaigning and a bit of America-skepticism has always been popular with German voters and Trump is an easy target as he is extremely unpopular in Germany. She is and will stay an instinctive transatlanticist.

Yes, I read The Economist, I know who her audiences are. Doesn't mean I can't hope for German rearmament.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 07:35:45 AM

Wow, that is lovely!

Taormina is indeed a lovely town, and the views from the theater are a sight to behold, with the Etna in the background.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 12:58:18 PM

Wow, that is lovely!

Taormina is indeed a lovely town, and the views from the theater are a sight to behold, with the Etna in the background.

Seriously, I might consider taking a vacation there, for the views like that in the picture you posted alone. Would you recommend a visit? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 12:58:18 PM

Wow, that is lovely!

Seriously, I might consider taking a vacation there, for the views like that in the picture you posted alone. Would you recommend a visit?

Absolutely. Taormina is a lovely small town, and there are loads of really beautiful places to visit all over Sicily. If you want tips I would be more than happy to help you out.  :)