My Bargain Basement Nokia Phone Has Conked Out

Started by Admiral Yi, April 24, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

What would be the best way of getting a new phone?

ATT store?  Best Buy?  Online?

I want to keep the same number, and hopefully move my text threads and photos over.

I'm thinking bottom of the line Android phone.

HVC

texts might be an issue unless you use something like WhatsApp. I just upgrade my phone through my service provider.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2017, 01:49:21 PM
What would be the best way of getting a new phone?

ATT store?  Best Buy?  Online?

I want to keep the same number, and hopefully move my text threads and photos over.

I'm thinking bottom of the line Android phone.
Look at E-bay for a used one.  Imho, no need to pay 600-800$ for a phone.  But it's a matter of choice, I guess.

I see some Galaxy S5 (two generations down) for 100$US.  HTC One M8 for about the same price.  All unlocked, so take the carrier you want.

Keeping the same number shouldn't be an issue (it isn't in Canada, so I guess it ain't either in the US). Transfering texts is tricky, transfering photos, it really depends on what you mean by "conked".  If you can still power it on, you should be able to plug it into a computer, transfer your pictures&videos there, and then to your new phone.

If it's dead, dead, than you need to extract the microSD card (if it has one) and use a USB card reader to transfer your files from your old phone to your PC to your new phone (it's unlikely the same format as todays' phone, when they use one).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Depends what software was on your bargain basement Nokia.  If you're going Android 3+ to Android 3+, and you can find someone who has a Cellebrite machine, you can probably get it fully copied (including the texts) for a price (unless you luck out and your carrier's store still has one of those machines, but they've been disappearing all over the place).

The problem is that SMS messages are like really old-school email; the carrier might make an archive copy to satisfy subpoenas, but otherwise, once that message goes from the server to your phone, that's where it is.  Phone dead, messages gone.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on April 24, 2017, 11:46:59 PM
Look at E-bay for a used one.  Imho, no need to pay 600-800$ for a phone.  But it's a matter of choice, I guess.

I see some Galaxy S5 (two generations down) for 100$US.  HTC One M8 for about the same price.  All unlocked, so take the carrier you want.

Keeping the same number shouldn't be an issue (it isn't in Canada, so I guess it ain't either in the US). Transfering texts is tricky, transfering photos, it really depends on what you mean by "conked".  If you can still power it on, you should be able to plug it into a computer, transfer your pictures&videos there, and then to your new phone.

If it's dead, dead, than you need to extract the microSD card (if it has one) and use a USB card reader to transfer your files from your old phone to your PC to your new phone (it's unlikely the same format as todays' phone, when they use one).

Good advice on getting a cheaper phone with a caveat: stay the hell away from HTCs.  They've got a nasty habit of dying after a gentle breeze in the wrong direction.  The S5 is pretty much a tank, more so if you can find an S5 Active somewhere- both are water- and dust-resistant, but the Active is resistant to drop damage, too.
Experience bij!

viper37

I have had two HTC One and never had any problem with them :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on April 25, 2017, 03:59:52 PM
I have had two HTC One and never had any problem with them :)

The M8s were okayish.  Desires take a crap as soon as you look at them, though.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Don't want to fuck with used phones.

Bottom line Android won't cost 600 clams, will it? 

Bananer: Windows.

Admiral Yi

On another note, i do have an old flip phone lying around that might still work as a stopgap.  Is it just a question of opening up the backs and switching the SIM cards, or is there more to it?

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, and the Nokia phone won't even power up any more.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2017, 05:04:52 PM
Oh yeah, and the Nokia phone won't even power up any more.

The micro-sd card inside and possibly the internal memory might still be recognised if you connect it to a pc with a usb lead?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Blocked or unblocked?  I figure I'm an ATT lifer just for the stock.

Right now I'm looking at the Galaxy J3 at $150 at Best Buy.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2017, 05:55:13 PM
Blocked or unblocked?  I figure I'm an ATT lifer just for the stock.

Right now I'm looking at the Galaxy J3 at $150 at Best Buy.
Blocked limits you to one carrier.
Unblocked gives you freedom.

Freedom is good.  But Freedom isn't free.

Make your choice.  ;)

I'd say it really depends on the price difference between the locked and unlocked models.  If the difference is minimal, take the unlocked one.  If it's too big for you don't do it, and be an ATT lifer until the end of days.

Admiral Yi

Turns out it was just a dud charger. :)

It would still be nice to have the capacity to move contacts and shit somewhere else. 

Get a USB thingy, ?, profit?  How would I do that?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2017, 07:39:59 PM
Turns out it was just a dud charger. :)

It would still be nice to have the capacity to move contacts and shit somewhere else. 

Get a USB thingy, ?, profit?  How would I do that?

You said you're on AT&T?  How bargain basement are we talking?  If a flip phone, just go through and copy the contacts to the SIM card (you can do up to 128 that way), then pull them from the SIM card on the new phone.  Otherwise, call your AT&T store and ask if they have a Cellebrite.  It's literally a machine that lets you plug in two phones and copy one to the other (they keep a binder full of USB cables for different phones that comes with the Cellebrite).
Experience bij!