UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2017, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 11:49:17 AM
I would've expected the second line to be "and I just ordered more falafel. Looks good pretty good, yeah?"

It's a takeoff of a line from Dazed and Confused.

"I came here to do two things: get fucked up and fight.  And I'm done getting fucked up."

It's origin is even older: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_K8prLfso
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Surprisingly good launch for Corbyn and Labour today. He got some half decent soundbites in. It's just about possible that he won't have the worst ever vote share for Labour since the war

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2017, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 11:49:17 AM
I would've expected the second line to be "and I just ordered more falafel. Looks good pretty good, yeah?"

It's a takeoff of a line from Dazed and Confused.

"I came here to do two things: get fucked up and fight.  And I'm done getting fucked up."

They Live is the origin of the line, though. Not sure if Dazed and Confused ripped it off or managed to independently think of it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Anyone know the origin of the line "living the dream?"

mongers

Quote from: Gups on April 20, 2017, 04:16:51 PM
Surprisingly good launch for Corbyn and Labour today. He got some half decent soundbites in. It's just about possible that he won't have the worst ever vote share for Labour since the war

Well yes and it'll seem increasingly odd during the campaign if May keeps trying to drag the focus back to Brexit and that only.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

The irony is that not many people are very interested in brexit. Now the inability to get a timely appointment at the doctor's? That annoys people.

celedhring

You guys just made me rewatch the best bits from They Live!

Something good might come out of Brexit afterall.

Gups

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2017, 08:08:23 PM

Well yes and it'll seem increasingly odd during the campaign if May keeps trying to drag the focus back to Brexit and that only.

I don't think she will. She needed Brexit as an excuse to call the election. Tory focus will now be on showing up the fact that Labour haven't really had time to develop their policies and in many cases have policies which Corbyn is strongly against. For example, official Labour policy is to renew Trident. Jezza is stuck with that policy but he's strongly against it. How does he deal with a simple question - will a Labour Government under your Prime Ministership renew Trident? No way out.

We can expect the usual questioning of how spending pledges will be paid for but with the added complication that Labour's nascent policies are based on the estimated deficit for 2020 not 2017. Ditch most of those pledges? Run a higher deficit? Admit you will have to raise taxes?

Tonitrus

mongers

Quote from: Gups on April 21, 2017, 04:08:59 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2017, 08:08:23 PM

I don't think she will. She needed Brexit as an excuse to call the election. Tory focus will now be on showing up the fact that Labour haven't really had time to develop their policies and in many cases have policies which Corbyn is strongly against. For example, official Labour policy is to renew Trident. Jezza is stuck with that policy but he's strongly against it. How does he deal with a simple question - will a Labour Government under your Prime Ministership renew Trident? No way out.

We can expect the usual questioning of how spending pledges will be paid for but with the added complication that Labour's nascent policies are based on the estimated deficit for 2020 not 2017. Ditch most of those pledges? Run a higher deficit? Admit you will have to raise taxes?

Yes, an interesting dilemma Labour finds itself in, one of several.

Looks like voter fatigue could cost her a point or two, calling an "unnecessary election" has annoyed a fair few.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 21, 2017, 12:55:32 AM
The irony is that not many people are very interested in brexit. Now the inability to get a timely appointment at the doctor's? That annoys people.

That's a good point RH; Labour should be nailing the Brexit 350million lie to these 'facts on the ground' every time May trots our Brexit and the national interest.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 23, 2017, 04:42:08 AM
UKIP confirm that they are an unacceptable party to vote for :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682939

QuoteUKIP's "integration agenda", to be launched on Monday, will also propose outlawing sharia law.

How does...? Mind... struggling...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 23, 2017, 04:42:08 AM
UKIP confirm that they are an unacceptable party to vote for :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682939

It would be interesting from a statistical point of view, if they switched to a loud anti-Muslim agenda, see how many people actually ends up voting for them.