UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2017, 12:39:09 PM
What other issues besides Brexit and the personality of Jeremy Corbyn are at stake?

As in what issues are the parties planning to campaign on?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Yes. Like tax reform, or NHS or whatever. I guess SNP is clear, but are there any real issues besides Brexit that will be relevant during the election campaign?

Jacob

My understanding is the Corbyn is mostly going to try to avoid the Brexit issue and focus on things like the NHS et. al.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 11:49:17 AM
I would've expected the second line to be "and I just ordered more falafel. Looks good pretty good, yeah?"

It's a takeoff of a line from Dazed and Confused.

"I came here to do two things: get fucked up and fight.  And I'm done getting fucked up."

Admiral Yi

Now I'm thinking this:

"I came here to do two things: drink beer and kick some ass.  And I'm all out of beer."

Barrister

I thought the classic line was "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum.  And I'm all out of bubble gum."
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2017, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 11:49:17 AM
I would've expected the second line to be "and I just ordered more falafel. Looks good pretty good, yeah?"

It's a takeoff of a line from Dazed and Confused.

"I came here to do two things: get fucked up and fight.  And I'm done getting fucked up."

Like BB, I thought of the "chew bubblegum and kick ass" quote... but I also thought that mangling the quote to indicate that Corbyn is a fuckup would be more in line with the board perception of the man.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 01:15:31 PM
Like BB, I thought of the "chew bubblegum and kick ass" quote... but I also thought that mangling the quote to indicate that Corbyn is a fuckup would be more in line with the board perception of the man.

Gotcha.

I guess that makes us even for you vomiting on my Kung Fu Hustle line. :P

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2017, 01:17:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 01:15:31 PM

Gotcha.

I guess that makes us even for you vomiting on my Kung Fu Hustle line. :P

:cheers:

Josquius

Oh dear.  They're not going for the equal minimum wage for everyone, it's discrimination against young people to have different levels idiocy are they.

But thumbs up on the trains. If brexit wasn't such a big deal the trains would win my vote. About time we end the idiocy of privatisation
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

If the UK is anything like Sweden £70k isn't even close to being rich.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2017, 02:29:58 PM
Oh dear.  They're not going for the equal minimum wage for everyone, it's discrimination against young people to have different levels idiocy are they.

But thumbs up on the trains. If brexit wasn't such a big deal the trains would win by vote. About time we end the idiocy of privatisation

And that's the risk Labour and Corbyn are running.

Perhaps the "it's the economy, stupid" message will fly, and people will get frustrated that they're the only party talking about "issues that matter to real people".

But if the public is mostly worried about Brexit, then Labour is just going to get swamped.

Jacob

All signs point to Labour being swamped... they're going to lose a bunch of their remain voters due to waffling on that file, they haven't done a good job of uniting the different wings of the party, they're not looking good in Scotland vs the SNP.

It was good political gamesmanship for May to call the election now, unless there's a significant change in the dynamic between now and election day.

IMO, of course.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2017, 03:47:38 PM
All signs point to Labour being swamped... they're going to lose a bunch of their remain voters due to waffling on that file, they haven't done a good job of uniting the different wings of the party, they're not looking good in Scotland vs the SNP.

It was good political gamesmanship for May to call the election now, unless there's a significant change in the dynamic between now and election day.

IMO, of course.

You never know what can happen in a campaign of course - nobody was predicting Trudeau would win our most recent election at the start of the campaign.

But yeah that's how it looks at present.