UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

He's a clichéd dick of a man.

As much as I dislike the Tories, I want Labour crushed in this election so that we get rid of that dreadful man. Unfortunately it looks like he'll do well enough to stay in place.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on May 26, 2017, 10:08:07 AM
He's a clichéd dick of a man.

As much as I dislike the Tories, I want Labour crushed in this election so that we get rid of that dreadful man. Unfortunately it looks like he'll do well enough to stay in place.

If the polls are right then this Tory leadership is absolutely inept at campaigning. Losing so much support when your opponent is somebody like Corbyn boggles the mind.
I am starting to worry we might actually see PM Corbyn.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 26, 2017, 07:10:53 AM
The Institute for Fiscal Studies says that they are both lying :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40057115

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40058068

I think the IFS are correct.

The difference is the Tories have the full might of the civil service to do their sums.
Labour are having to muddle through.

The tories are clearly lying. Labour could just be getting things wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

The Tories have been in power too long and the natural state of things is for the opposition party to bounce back after awhile. If Corbyn was not in charge it would be the natural time for Labour to return to power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2017, 10:43:43 AM
The Tories have been in power too long and the natural state of things is for the opposition party to bounce back after awhile. If Corbyn was not in charge it would be the natural time for Labour to return to power.

I think there is wisdom here. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

The public services are starting to visibly deteriorate now. As usual the initial bout of cutting wasn't too bad, there was some fat in the system, but we left that period a few years back. I think we should grow up and admit that getting the public services we want will require increased taxes; clearly the politicians do not think we are there yet.

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 26, 2017, 10:49:20 AM
The public services are starting to visibly deteriorate now. As usual the initial bout of cutting wasn't too bad, there was some fat in the system, but we left that period a few years back. I think we should grow up and admit that getting the public services we want will require increased taxes; clearly the politicians do not think we are there yet.

How does the UK tackle the issue of efficiency in government services? I ask because related stuff is a huge issue in Sweden right now. We are discussing efficiency in private companies that provide services in healthcare and education (many people are against efficiency there).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

That is a big question. The standard weapon is budgetary constraint; but it is a blunt instrument and the various services are having very mixed fortunes right now. Outsourcing was very popular but is somewhat tarnished nowadays as many badly-designed contacts were agreed. Many of the staff are very conservative and don't want their jobs to change. Without the profit motive it is hard to see one's way and people can get very slack about costs.

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 26, 2017, 11:19:40 AM
That is a big question. The standard weapon is budgetary constraint; but it is a blunt instrument and the various services are having very mixed fortunes right now. Outsourcing was very popular but is somewhat tarnished nowadays as many badly-designed contacts were agreed. Many of the staff are very conservative and don't want their jobs to change. Without the profit motive it is hard to see one's way and people can get very slack about costs.

Yes. In my experience a surprising number of people seem to think that the cost of doing something (and the quality of the product) is somehow set in stone. My experience is that it is very healthy for an organization to exist under constant pressure to perform better, and if possible to face oblivion if it underperforms.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2017, 11:30:52 AM
Yes. In my experience a surprising number of people seem to think that the cost of doing something (and the quality of the product) is somehow set in stone. My experience is that it is very healthy for an organization to exist under constant pressure to perform better, and if possible to face oblivion if it underperforms.

The challenge, IMO, lies in ensuring that the metrics for underperformance that determine oblivion actually line up to provide pressure towards the outcomes you want.

Josquius

Alas brexit has bought them a few years of evil foreign scapegoats.

I'm just hoping they don't manage to run the nhs down to the extent they can push through privatisation as an obvious thing to do to improve. Like they did with the trains.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2017, 07:34:41 AM

Alas brexit has bought them a few years of evil foreign scapegoats.

I'm just hoping they don't manage to run the nhs down to the extent they can push through privatisation as an obvious thing to do to improve. Like they did with the trains.

Funnily enough, hard brexit would bring the government some -I assume- substantial extra income via the tariff they'd be putting on all stuff, and they would get MORE far-right support out of it, since it would be the fault of the evil EU that they are forced to do this.

mongers

Our best chance of a leadership 'debate' is starting now, 8.30pm on Channel 4 in the UK.

Likely some good questioning in store.  :bowler:

edit:
not sure if their website allows streaming outside of UK.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Verdict?

One I've seen elsewhere : May made a smart choice in avoiding a debate.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Someone doesn't hold the Tories in very high esteem.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.