UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Gups on April 20, 2017, 05:34:14 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2017, 05:15:00 AM
The Tories do have a commanding lead in the polls, but I suspect that their vote is soft. If another party manages to present a worthwhile alternative a lot of Tory votes could evaporate. We saw the SNP do this to Labour in Scotland last time round. Which underlines what a disaster Corbyn is I suppose  :hmm:

That's a hell of an "if"

You never know, though I guess it isn't going to be as close as the French presidential race.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2017, 08:32:50 AM
UKIP are quiet so far. :ph34r:

What are they going to campaign on? They've already achieved their raison d'etre.

Syt

Ensuring that it will be the "right" Brexit, and not a wishy-washy half baked thing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2017, 08:43:52 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2017, 08:32:50 AM
UKIP are quiet so far. :ph34r:

What are they going to campaign on? They've already achieved their raison d'etre.

I still expect them to go all the way and start an anti-immigrant program. Unfortunately it will concentrate on Eastern Europeans because they will not want to be beheaded.

The Larch

Given how quickly Farage bolted after the Brexit referendum I don't think that they were really counting on winning at any time and just wanted to be a protest party for as long as possible.

Valmy

The main hope for this election is simply that the Tory majority decreases. That presents the only realistic possibility for the UK to hold together and the Brexit train to hit a snag. Now how likely that is I have no idea. I don't know what percentage of the 48% who voted to stay in the EU have decided hard fast Brexit is something they can now support, or if any of the 51% who did support Brexit have gotten cold feet.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Not exactly related but the woman who would be my MP if I could vote (of man in the van controversy) has made this headline:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/20/people-on-70000-do-not-feel-rich-emily-thornberry-admits
QuoteSome people earning £70,000 do not feel rich, says Emily Thornberry
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It is true. You could barely afford a cardboard box by the sewage treatment plant in London with that kind of salary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grinning_Colossus

$90,000. (The exchange rate is much lower now than I expected!) I can see that as not really being affluent in London.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tamas

See, instantly you are in the territory where you seek to define who is the enemy of the people to be punished, and who isn't. If you have  a flat tax rate, there is no such issue.

70k must be pretty sweet, even in London, but I don't think it could go above an upper middle class lifestyle.

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 20, 2017, 10:08:41 AM
$90,000. (The exchange rate is much lower now than I expected!) I can see that as not really being affluent in London.

You definitely can't use exchange rates now to understand what people get paid in the UK. Makes everyone seem like paupers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

I prefer the term "well-off" or "comfortable"  for people on that sort of income. Rich is more of a substantial house in London, place in the country, all children sent to public schools sort of thing. You need a lot more than £70k for that sort of thing.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2017, 10:13:54 AM
I prefer the term "well-off" or "comfortable"  for people on that sort of income. Rich is more of a substantial house in London, place in the country, all children sent to public schools sort of thing. You need a lot more than £70k for that sort of thing.

This reminds me, I'll need to read up on definitions of schools over here. I'd have thought "public" schools are the state-run ones, not private schools.

Valmy

Why would you think something ridiculous like that?