UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So it's official the Commons has voted to allow a parliamentary general election in 50 days time. 

Might this be that last* UK general election?

One bright spot, Ken Clarke confirms he'll stand again in his constituency:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39645885

The less than impressed bloke on the backbench is my local MP, nice enough chap to talk with, but certainly no 'wet'.

*And no I'm not assuming May is going all Erdogan on us?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I still think the queen should raise the Royal banner at York and ravage Scotland.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2017, 08:50:54 PM
I still think the queen should raise the Royal banner at York and ravage Scotland.

Non-capitalised Queen, but capitalised royal?   :hmm:

:P

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on April 19, 2017, 08:52:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2017, 08:50:54 PM

Non-capitalised Queen, but capitalised royal?   :hmm:

:P

My iPad is rebellious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Sorry, dude;  can't really be bothered to keep up, what with our own impeding apocalypse.  But I do hope you manage to successfully survive the fallout from the transatlantic winds.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2017, 09:09:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Sorry, dude;  can't really be bothered to keep up, what with our own impeding apocalypse.  But I do hope you manage to successfully survive the fallout from the transatlantic winds.

It's a race to the bottom, we play Brexit vote, you hit back with Trump, we double down with this stupid/unnecessary election; what have you guys left to play, short of the aforesaid thermonuclear war?   :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on April 19, 2017, 09:13:39 PM
what have you guys left to play, short of the aforesaid thermonuclear war?   :P

Thermonuclear global market crash.

Richard Hakluyt

Tamas

I am slightly disturbed by the apparent joy all the party leaders have thrown themselves into this election with.

If it's such a great idea, why didn't they pressured for it previously? If it's a bad idea, why support it?

It seems especially counterproductive to the opposition considering the regular next election would have been in 2020, about a year after Brexit is finalised, and the near-certain short term disadvantages starting to unravel in full. It would have been the perfect time to campaign against the government.

Now, I am afraid many people will think, that if it has to be the Tories, it better be a strong Tory government so there won't be any hickups with Brexit. I worry about an absolute landslide.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2017, 04:06:57 AM
I am slightly disturbed by the apparent joy all the party leaders have thrown themselves into this election with.

If it's such a great idea, why didn't they pressured for it previously? If it's a bad idea, why support it?

It seems especially counterproductive to the opposition considering the regular next election would have been in 2020, about a year after Brexit is finalised, and the near-certain short term disadvantages starting to unravel in full. It would have been the perfect time to campaign against the government.

Now, I am afraid many people will think, that if it has to be the Tories, it better be a strong Tory government so there won't be any hickups with Brexit. I worry about an absolute landslide.

What good would it be for the other party leaders to moan about an election? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

:huh: Just because they don't have a majority they should shut up about things they can't actually enact/change? Not much point about having an opposition then.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2017, 04:15:25 AM
:huh: Just because they don't have a majority they should shut up about things they can't actually enact/change? Not much point about having an opposition then.

I mean if they moan about having a leadership election - what is the message? Oh you don't actually want to try to gain leadership of the country? Oh, you are as pessimistic as the public is about your ability to take control?

Besides, I don't see why Lib Dems wouldn't be happy.  Labour would look like it wanted to stay irrelevant if it was moaning about having to make its case to voters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

The Tories do have a commanding lead in the polls, but I suspect that their vote is soft. If another party manages to present a worthwhile alternative a lot of Tory votes could evaporate. We saw the SNP do this to Labour in Scotland last time round. Which underlines what a disaster Corbyn is I suppose  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2017, 04:22:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2017, 04:15:25 AM

I mean if they moan about having a leadership election - what is the message? Oh you don't actually want to try to gain leadership of the country? Oh, you are as pessimistic as the public is about your ability to take control?

Besides, I don't see why Lib Dems wouldn't be happy.  Labour would look like it wanted to stay irrelevant if it was moaning about having to make its case to voters.

Fair point.

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2017, 05:15:00 AM
The Tories do have a commanding lead in the polls, but I suspect that their vote is soft. If another party manages to present a worthwhile alternative a lot of Tory votes could evaporate. We saw the SNP do this to Labour in Scotland last time round. Which underlines what a disaster Corbyn is I suppose  :hmm:

That's a hell of an "if"