News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Issue with my computer

Started by Sophie Scholl, April 07, 2017, 03:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

So.  My computer is a few years old at this point but can still handle all the games I want and do so decently.  Lately though, it has been having some issues.  The fans have been acting up it seems and it randomly shuts down.  Initially it was once in every great while, but now it is once a day almost.  Any suggestions?  I pressurized air-ed out the interior every few months to keep it clean inside.  Do I need new fans?  A new power source?  Both?  A new computer?  Thanks in advance!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 07, 2017, 03:53:20 PM
The fans have been acting up it seems and it randomly shuts down. 
overheating.  The computer shuts down when the temperature climbs.  Replace the defective fans with new ones.  If you have a basic stock cooler from Intel, it's likely that it can't refresh the CPU all by itself, you depend on at least 2 other case fans (one to pull air inside, the other to expel the hot air).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on April 10, 2017, 10:07:11 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 07, 2017, 03:53:20 PM
The fans have been acting up it seems and it randomly shuts down. 
overheating.  The computer shuts down when the temperature climbs.  Replace the defective fans with new ones.  If you have a basic stock cooler from Intel, it's likely that it can't refresh the CPU all by itself, you depend on at least 2 other case fans (one to pull air inside, the other to expel the hot air).
Gotcha.  It usually happens right when I turn the computer on.  Unsure if that changes the diagnosis.  It seems odd to my non-techie brain it could overheat within like 4 or 5 minutes.  Maybe triggering failsafes due to not properly functioning fans instead of actually overheating and triggering that way?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 10, 2017, 11:28:59 PM
Maybe triggering failsafes due to not properly functioning fans instead of actually overheating and triggering that way?
yes that.  Temperature climbs rapidly if you have malfunctionning fans, especially if it's the CPU fan.  A CPU without heatsink or fan would fry within a minute if there weren't any failsafes.

That's why all modern motherboard will monitor temperatures of your various components by default and shut down the computer if it runs too hot.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.