News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Foootball 2017

Started by grumbler, April 01, 2017, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

:console:  Dude, this is college football.  Maybe you are in the wrong thread?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I don't think that most college football discussions involve playing word games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Nice to see this thread in mid-season form :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2017, 02:11:24 PM
I don't think that most college football discussions involve playing word games.

Agree that most don't. So what?  Most don't mention the SEC, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2017, 02:21:04 PM
Nice to see this thread in mid-season form :P

Some people take rivalries very seriously, indeed.  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2017, 01:29:08 PM
And fuck Notre Dame, while we are at it. :thumbsup:

Any team tainted by Tim deserves that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2017, 07:39:12 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2017, 01:29:08 PM
And fuck Notre Dame, while we are at it. :thumbsup:

Any team tainted by Tim deserves that.

And Seedy.  Not sure why anyone really cares about a sub-average ACC team, but fuck 'em.

And fuck Penn State and its JoPa-loving fans, as well.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Rasputin

I'm heading to Atlanta Friday for the big game. No matter how it turns out, I like that Jimbo has returned the Noles to the "anybody, anytime, anywhere" roots that first put our program on the map in the early 80s.

If we'd learn to block we'd make a run at the title this year and run Alabama out of Atlanta to open our season.

As it is, I fear we still cannot block and without the likes of dalvin cook whose blockers only got in the way, we will likely lose to Alabama and get stuck playing yet another overrated big ten team in January in a bowl that used to matter. :)

Who is John Galt?

Barrister

NCAA fans, a little info please.

The CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats have hired Art Briles, former head coach at Baylor, as a new Assistant Coach.  News reports mention in passing that he was fired because of "Briles mishandled multiple allegations of sexual assault against players."  Can anyone provide any particulars about this story?  How bad was it?

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

It's bad, and it's still an ongoing thing.  I don't even really know where to start.  Lots of info on Google.

E:  I think this is the latest lawsuit: http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Meaningful-reform-has-not-yet-set-in-new-suit-against-BU-alleges-441328073.html 

This one is alleging there were 52 rapes by 31 football players over 4 years: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/baylor/2017/01/27/new-baylor-lawsuit-describes-show-em-good-time-culture-cites-52-rapes-football-players-4-years

Wiki article with a timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_sexual_assault_scandal

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2017, 01:56:06 PM
NCAA fans, a little info please.

The CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats have hired Art Briles, former head coach at Baylor, as a new Assistant Coach.  News reports mention in passing that he was fired because of "Briles mishandled multiple allegations of sexual assault against players."  Can anyone provide any particulars about this story?  How bad was it?

That is about as bad a situation as one can imagine. They used access to sex to recruit and there were multiple gang rapes of female students covered up. It was a real, and ongoing, nightmare. But I cannot imagine that would be applicable to professional football. I mean, you know, besides the fact the guy should be in prison.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 28, 2017, 09:07:45 PM
And now they're saying Art won't be a coach there after all.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/28/16215268/art-briles-cfl-hamilton-tiger-cats-june-jones

Yup - the "hiring" lasted less than 24 hours.

You know, I've long said the CFL should go out and hire more NCAA co-ordinators, rather than keep recycling the same-old CFL coaches time after time.  But surely they could have done better than Briles.

Now this is part of a hiring of a new head coach - June Jones - most recently of Hawaii.  Now I'm not exactly clear why someone would willingly go from Hawaii to Hamilton Ontario, but I'm curious to see how he does.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Art Briles is as good a football coach as you can find. He made Baylor(!!!!) a national contender.

June Jones--way past his prime.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014