News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Foootball 2017

Started by grumbler, April 01, 2017, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

In an interesting development, the University of Michigan has teamed with Domino's Pizza (HQ in Ann Arbor) to rename Michigan Stadium to Domino's Pizza Stadium in exchange for a cool $5 million a year.  It's just a ten-year deal, though.

http://www.chatsports.com/rumors-humor/a/michigan-signs-deal-ann-arbor-based-dominos-pizza-rename-michigan-stadium-32739

QuoteBo Schembechler just rolled over in his grave. In a stunning and unexpected move, the Michigan Wolverines have announced they are changing the name of the iconic Michigan Stadium. Ann Arbor-based Domino's Pizza will become the title sponsor of the new "Domino's Pizza Stadium." Domino's Pizza is expected to pay upwards of $50 million for a 10-year deal on the naming rights.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

How many Michigan State grads do you think are going to fall for this one?  ALL OF THEM

grumbler

So, the Wolverines are now in Rome as part of their spring training. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19212478/follow-jim-harbaugh-michigan-wolverines-their-trip-rome  They'll spend a week sightseeing and get in three practices, then split up to do three weeks of individual/small group classes all over Europe as part of the school's regular international education program.

Apparently the last practice will be an actual game, so the Italians get to see another example of how American football works.

Must be nice to go to a school that has a money cannon like Michigan's.  This is going to be an annual event (South Africa next year, then New Zealand the following year). What high school kid wouldn't want to play for Harbaugh in college?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

One that wants to not play for a psycho.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 23, 2017, 06:39:01 PM
One that wants to not play for a psycho.

Saban is out, agreed.  But he and Wilson (who works for him) are the only psychos doing college ball.

Harbaugh gets money for stuff for the student in the student athlete. Other coaches don't do that to nearly his extent.

Bayraktar!

PDH

Wyoming went through Spring Ball without losing a game to another team.  I count that as a win.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

The Ohio State and UDub sign a home and home, which is good as reports Harbaugh U is trying to back out of the Home and Home already setup.

QuoteOhio State and Washington have agreed to a home-and-home series in 2024 and 2025, the schools announced Thursday.

Washington will host the first game in Seattle on Sept. 14, 2024, and will pay a return visit to Columbus on Sept. 13 the following year. The schools, both of which were semifinalists in the College Football Playoff this past season, have played 11 times in a series that began in 1957.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on April 27, 2017, 05:25:40 PM
The Ohio State and UDub sign a home and home, which is good as reports Harbaugh U is trying to back out of the Home and Home already setup.

I'm not sure how much credence to give to the rumors that Michigan will cancel the UDub series.  I know that there has been talk of how the nine-game conference slate makes playing two major P5 powers (in 2020 and 2021 that will be UDub and VaTech), but the fans are all for keeping the games.  Plus, the buyout is big.  Based on what is being reported ight now, the program will grumble and play the games.  Gotta justify those ticket prices.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Not a single Arizona player drafted. Not one.

I don't care how great a coach RichRod is on game day. You cannot win if you cannot recruit 4 or 5 star recruits consistently, and in numbers competitive with the rest of your conference.

Arizona has not done that, and until they do, they will be, at best, mediocre. An occasional surprising season when a few under-rated players turn out to be a lot better than expected, but overall average at best, and below average more often than not.

Arizona hired a new AD this year. I think Rich Rod could be in trouble. Arizona still doesn't have Pac-12 talent or depth, and there is no real reason to think that they will improve much this year.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Some have questioned whether Jim Harbaugh is worth his $5 million salary (plus an interest-free one-time $4 million loan, which has to be repaid), but the numbers for his results indictae that, yes, he is worth it:
(1) 20-6 record, after previous regime went 12-13 over the previous 2 seasons
(2) #3 in Academic Progress Rate (up from #41 under Hoke in 2013)
(3) #3 ranked recruiting class this year, #5 last year.  Best in previous 10 years: #7 in 2012, with no others in top ten
(4) Record 93,000 season tickets sold this year (basically, sold out, with visiting team and events tickets held out); first NCAA team to go over $100 million in revenue and NCAA-record $65 million football profit (that doesn't include TV/Media; it's just football revenue)
(5) Program record 11 players drafted
(6) lots of innovative ways to get good press for the program like the recent Rome trip
(7) the unquantifiable value of royally pissing off every SEC coach and making them squeal like little babies
(8) unified the fan and alumni base like nobody since Bo.

He could ask for a lot more and get it, but money isn't his gig.

Who's got it better than us?  NOBODY!

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Plus he annoys Finebaum.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Wyoming: Not on Nevada's schedule again.

One of these days I'm getting Peedy to Reno. Maybe next year.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2017, 08:22:35 PM
Plus he annoys Finebaum.

Everything annoys Finebaum except Nick Saban's cock.

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2017, 08:23:42 PM
Wyoming: Not on Nevada's schedule again.

One of these days I'm getting Peedy to Reno. Maybe next year.

Oh when they play in Reno next time I'm there.  I'll drive up Friday, pick up Seedy and Ed at the airport, and the four of us can run amok in Reno.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM