what's causing this problem?

Started by Josephus, March 24, 2017, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Strange issue with my internet.
It was down this morning. I know there was a power failure overnight in the area.

So I left it. went to work. Came home. Still down. Rebooted my modem. It worked fine for about half an hour and then stopped. Strange thing, though, is the website I happened to be on continued to work fine, just couldn't get onto new websites.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 24, 2017, 04:47:01 PM
Strange issue with my internet.
It was down this morning. I know there was a power failure overnight in the area.

So I left it. went to work. Came home. Still down. Rebooted my modem. It worked fine for about half an hour and then stopped. Strange thing, though, is the website I happened to be on continued to work fine, just couldn't get onto new websites.
Do you get internet from an outside ISP or is it your landlord providing you internet access?  If it's your landlord, it could be that his servers/routers/modems were affected by the power failure.  It could be that there is a problem with DNS name resolving.

If you have your own ISP, than do you have a router?  If you plug directly into the modem does it work?

If you have a router, unplug both the router and the modem, wait 30 seconds, plug the modem and wait for it to come online.  Then plug the router, wait for it to come online and try your internet again.

If you use custom DNS (Google, OpenDNS, etc), try using the ones from your ISP.  If you use default DNS' try configuring your router or Windows to use OpenDNS:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

seems to work now when I bypass the router. So seems like time to buy a new one.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2017, 08:10:01 AM
seems to work now when I bypass the router. So seems like time to buy a new one.
Asus RT-AC68U for most houses is what I would recommend.  So far, it's the longest lasting router I ever bought.

Asus RT-AC88U if you have a very large house, but it's a 500$ router.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum